PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1 3/4 hp cabinet saw

John Bowling
04-18-2003, 4:00 PM
Anyone have any experience with this saw? Give your pros and cons. I'm considering replacing my current saw with this one.

Ron Meadows
04-18-2003, 5:29 PM
John,

I don't have any personal experience with the saw, but I do know what it is. It's a contractors saw in a cabinet saws clothing. The trunnions and all other important innards are identical to a contractor saws except the motor hangs down instead of out the back of the cabinet. If you're already using a contractors saw this isn't much of an upgrade. About the only advantage to it is a smaller footprint.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Scott Coffelt
04-18-2003, 5:40 PM
I agree with Ron. Your not upgrading with this. Consider going to a real cabinet saw. If price is an issue consider the Grizzly 1023S. Built solid, plenty of power, accurate and will last a long time. If you have the bucks and don't want to save some money go for the PM66 - top notch unit. I personally, I have seen no value to go with the models in between. Just my opinion though. many folks have the other units and will step up to the plate and defend them.

I couldn't quite afford the PM66, so I chose to go the 1023S route and spend the extra money on a disk sander and spindle sander. No regrets 1 year later.

Charles McKinley
04-18-2003, 8:19 PM
I played with one at WW Warehouse. The hand wheels feel very flimsly. I would look at a good contractors saw over this. I think $1000. is way too much.

Joe_Ott
04-18-2003, 9:38 PM
I agree with the above posts. Take a really good/hard look at the Grizzly 1023S or 1023SL. A lot more saw for the money. You wont be sorry.

Joe

Stan Smith
04-18-2003, 10:09 PM
I had a Delta contr's saw and replace it with a Jet Xacta 3hp, 220v. Man, what a difference. If you are thinking of spending $1,000, you might want to save a little longer and get a more powerful saw. I really like my left-tilt Jet, but the added power is what makes the big difference, everything else, being equal.