PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0513-series Bandsaws - Tire Question

Joe Angrisani
07-15-2011, 9:54 AM
Santa arrived out of season yesterday with his liftgate and his pallet jack. The backorder wait is over!

I set everything up and was quite pleased, all-in-all. No physical damage or marks. Minimal cosmoline (yeah!). Table is flat. Wheels are true. Nothing missing. No horror stories on this one. Thanks Shiraz!

I do have a question for people with 513 or 514 series saws: Are your tires glued to the wheels? The tires on my G0513X2B are not glued. As the saw comes up to speed, there is complete smoothness. But right before it hits full speed, the dust-wiping brush starts to hold back the lower tire just a bit, and a wave of sorts forms and the tire lifts just slightly before the brush. When the rubber lifts, a very slight vibration starts that I feel in the frame. It is clearly the tire because the vibration changes in sync with the "dancing" of the tire. Again, teeny vibration, but if it was gone it'd be rock-solid.

I'm going to call Grizzly after I take care of some other chores this morning, but I wanted a little backround knowledge first.

Howard Acheson
07-15-2011, 10:48 AM
The tire should not lift. In fact, what you describe is what would normally be an indication to replace the tire. Gluing may work but I would talk to Grizzly first. 14" bandsaws typically do not have glued tires but most larger saws do glue on the tires.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Not neccesarily Howard. I have a MM-16 with 4.8 HP motor and the tires aren't glued on it.

I would talk with Grizzly.

Rod Sheridan
07-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Joe, it sounds like the tire isn't tight enough on the wheel, or the tire has lost elasticity..........Regards, Rod.

Joe Angrisani
07-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Here's a quick picture (before I have to leave) to show you guys what's happening. The saw is running in this picture; the flash just froze the motion. But you can see how it's "piling up" in front of the brush. It's not steady. The lifted part moves and wiggles a little.

As I said, I will call Grizzly. But I won't be able to do it until this afternoon.

Rod.... I did expect the tire to be tighter. I can take it off and reinstall it with only minimal effort/stretching.

Rod Sheridan
07-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Joe, it sure sounds like a faulty tire, when I've changed them I've had to soak them in hot soapy water to get them to go on the wheel. I used tire spoons (for changing motorcycle tires) to get them on the rim without pinching my fingers.............Rod.

Joe Angrisani
07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
One of my morning tasks got shifted to later today, so I called Grizzly.

They are sending me two new tires. I e-mailed that picture to the Customer Service guy and he said it was absolutely not normal. He also said the tires are not glued on. He laughed when I said I could take a tire off and put it back on in ten seconds, and he suggested boiling water and a hot soak for the new ones.

Anybody who's experiencing a "subtle background vibration" in their 513 saw ought to check if this is the source. The belt lifts before the brush with the blade on or off, so you can remove the blade to more-safely look for the lift.

I'll follow-up after I put the tires on next week.

Mikail Khan
07-16-2011, 9:19 AM
The replacement tires for my 19" 514X were about 16" in diameter. Hence the need for the warm water which makes them easier to stretch. Consider removing the wheels to install the tires.

I have had bad experiences with replacement tires from grizzly. The original tires were yellow and lasted 2 years. The first replacement set I got from them was black and it lasted about 1 year before it developed cracks and burst. I was using a carbide blade at the time and several teeth got chipped when the blade came off of the wheel.

I then purchased 2 sets of replacement tires from grizzly (also black). I installed 1 set and it lasted 6 months. The tire on the upper wheel was the one that failed. I inspected the lower tire and it had several cracks. I still have not installed the second pair.

I currently have a set of orange coloured tires on order from a vendor on ebay. I am hoping to get better performance.

Consider inspecting your grizzly bandsaw tires at least every 2 months.

MK

Joe Angrisani
07-20-2011, 10:59 PM
The tires arrived from Grizzly today. Based on what I see before me with my old tires and new tires, and taking into account what Mikail said, I think my 513 actually came from the factory with the 514's tires on it. The new ones they sent are about 2" smaller in diameter than the original ones, and it would certainly explain my ease in taking the old ones off and puttng them back on. If so, it makes you wonder how many 17" saws got the 19's tires.

Both the old tires and the new tires are light grey rubber.

I'll put the tires on tomorrow and report back. But I expect it to be problem solved based on what I see on my bench.

John Coloccia
07-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I think my 513 actually came from the factory with the 514's tires on it.

Well, that certainly makes them easier to install.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2011, 12:17 AM
If so, it makes you wonder how many 17" saws got the 19's tires.

You can bet someone in Grizzly customer service will see this and wonder the same thing.:cool:

Rod Sheridan
07-21-2011, 8:27 AM
Joe, they weren't the wrong tire, they were the "easy mount premium interchangable tires". (At least that's the marketing spin).:D

Glad to hear your issue was resolved...........Rod.

Joe Angrisani
07-21-2011, 11:28 AM
The tires are on. That did it. Tight tires stopped the lifting, and the little vibration is gone.

I'll keep an eye on them over time, Mikail, and see how the rubber holds up. Thanks for the head's-up.

Mikail Khan
07-21-2011, 9:09 PM
I think the correct tires were installed. It appears that the tires creep over time and lose their elasticity.

MK