PDA

View Full Version : WOODTEK Lathe ?

Michael James
07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Ok, curiosity question: Why doesn't anyone around here use one?
I had to go over to Woodturner's Supply the other day to by some parts for my bandsaw, and while I was waiting I was looking at those iron monsters. Holy Cow they're huge, heavy, ugly and appear to have good specs in the catalog.
What's the deal?
Thanks for indulging me...... (again):cool:
mj

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 11:01 PM
MJ,

From what I have heard, the woodtek are good workhorse types of lathes..........I don't think some of the models have all the bells and whistles like electronic variable speed.........at least some in the past did not...........those no. 1 lathes are very configurable to adapt to a number of styles of turning, however, they do cost ..........I say these things from memory, as I looked at them a couple of years ago when interested in purchasing a new lathe.

I just went to Woodworkers Supply website..........the no. 1 does now have electronic speed control........that is a heavy duty machine for sure!

curtis rosche
07-14-2011, 11:05 PM
they cost about the same as a new PM which has a larger outboard capacity, and the next step up is a OneWay.

David E Keller
07-15-2011, 2:53 PM
Seems like Hughie over on WTA just finished a remodel of a Woodtek... You might check with him about the particulars.

Alan Trout
07-15-2011, 3:46 PM
Friend of mine has a No1 just one step down from the whole enchilada. It is a beast. Weights 0ver 800 lbs. It is just as capable as any lathe out there. However with that being said I would still go for a Long bed Vicmarc or Robust before the woodtek.

Alan