PDA

View Full Version : New tool gloat! 6" jointer

David Brimm
07-14-2011, 9:35 PM
I was at work today when my wife comes into the woodshop (she works in the office up front) and tells me the person in the shop next door has a jointer for sale and I should go over there and buy it. Uh, ok sweety if you insist!

It's nothing special I guess just a standard made-in-China 6" jointer but it works nice and I think it'll be a nice addition to my little shop. The guy was asking $200, I gave him $120 and got him to include delivery to my house 15 miles away since I was at work. :D

Tim Cottle
07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a reliant just like that, not a bad jointer, certainly an upgrade from my bench top delta with aluminum fence and table.

Mark Carlson
07-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Love the elephant on the model label. Congrats.

~mark

Rich Engelhardt
07-15-2011, 3:17 AM
Pictures - check.
$80.00 off selling price - check.
Free delivery to your house - check.
Cool pachydermatic emblem - check.

I guess it's offical - YOU SUCK! :D

Doug Morgan
07-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I have the same one in my workshop. Its not the best but for the price we got if for, works like a million bucks.

Brian Kincaid
07-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I like how the fence is attached to the table because it has no added footprint. (This bugs me about my G0490 Grizzly).
How does the fence adjust when you adjust the depth of cut? Does the fence move up and down wrt the cutterhead?

-Brian

David Hostetler
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Great score! I paid more than that for my 6" bench top jointer. I keep teetering on wanting a floor model jointer like that, but I am leery of using up priceless floor space...

David Brimm
07-15-2011, 1:04 PM
I like how the fence is attached to the table because it has no added footprint. (This bugs me about my G0490 Grizzly).
How does the fence adjust when you adjust the depth of cut? Does the fence move up and down wrt the cutterhead?

-Brian

Hey Brian, I haven't had a chance to tear the machine down and delve into its deep inner-workings so take everything I say with a grain of salt. The fence is attached to the infeed table and moves up and down relative to the cutter, I definitely like the small footprint of the machine and since I never joint anything wider than about 4" it's perfect for my simple needs.

David Brimm
07-15-2011, 1:05 PM
Pictures - check.
$80.00 off selling price - check.
Free delivery to your house - check.
Cool pachydermatic emblem - check.

I guess it's offical - YOU SUCK! :D

If it warrants a "you suck" I know I've done good.. thanks guys!

Gary Hodgin
07-15-2011, 2:59 PM
I'm not sure which deserves more congratulations, a great deal on a jointer (especially delivered) or a wife that tells you about it.

Harvey Pascoe
07-16-2011, 7:51 AM
I'm not sure which deserves more congratulations, a great deal on a jointer (especially delivered) or a wife that tells you about it.

That's easy - without the wife telling him he wouldn't have that jointer now!

Todd McDonald
07-16-2011, 8:03 AM
Either way, you suck.

Cary Falk
07-16-2011, 10:41 AM
LOL. I was looking at a Dewalt GWI RAS on CL one night and the wife looks over my shoulder and says "that's pretty, you should buy it." I was thinking about buying it anyway but I was wondering how to justify it since I bought and restored a MBF a couple months earlier. The GWI was pea green with red knobs. It showed in my garage the next day. My wife asked what it was and where it came from. I proceded to tell her it was that thing on CL that she said I should buy. Her reply "That ugly thing?"

Enjoy your new jointer.

David Brimm
07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
That's easy - without the wife telling him he wouldn't have that jointer now!

Careful guys now I'm going to have to hide this thread so she doesn't read it, if she realizes how awesome everyone thinks she is she'll never let me live it down.:D

David Brimm
07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
LOL. I was looking at a Dewalt GWI RAS on CL one night and the wife looks over my shoulder and says "that's pretty, you should buy it." I was thinking about buying it anyway but I was wondering how to justify it since I bought and restored a MBF a couple months earlier. The GWI was pea green with red knobs. It showed in my garage the next day. My wife asked what it was and where it came from. I proceded to tell her it was that thing on CL that she said I should buy. Her reply "That ugly thing?"

Enjoy your new jointer.

Haha that is hilarious! I've had similar experiences and I'm always totally at a loss for what to say..

Don Jarvie
07-19-2011, 2:24 PM
Go to Harbor Freight tools and download the manual for their jointer which is similar to this one. You might want to get new knives and clean it up a bit.

The tables slide up and down along dovetails and on the back tail there is a piece of metal that is between the tighting bolts and dovetail. If the table dips on either side this strip can be moved forward or back and it will shim the table a bit.

Let me know if you have any questions. I restored my Relient so I tore it apart and put it back together so I know the ins and outs pretty good.

Don