PDA

View Full Version : How far away does a ceiling fan have to be from a wood burning (insert) fireplace?

Jim O'Dell
07-14-2011, 8:35 PM
Any one know? Or know where I would go to look this up? The first 4 pages of a Google search mostly shows home sales and rentals. Looks like my weekends in August are going to be spoken for...scraping the popcorn ceiling off the kitchen/family room. Roughly 16 X 34. Oh my aching neck... Jim.

John Coloccia
07-14-2011, 8:55 PM
I don't know that there is or isn't a minimum distance, but what would be the problem of having one too close?

Brian Elfert
07-14-2011, 10:39 PM
I helped my parents remove the textured ceilings in their house when I was still living there. They knocked out a wall and had to retexture the ceilings. Carpet was being replaced so we didn't have to be neat.

Anyhow, we found the best way to remove the stuff was by getting it damp with a sprayer and scraping it off. You don't want it soaking wet or the tape will come off the seams. This won't work if the ceiling has been painted. It wasn't hard at all. It was much more difficult before we started spraying it with water.

Jim O'Dell
07-14-2011, 10:59 PM
No, getting it off isn't the problem. I use a spray bottle set on mist, a plastic bathroom trash can, and a 12" knife. Goes pretty quickly.
I would think a ceiling fan could cause some problems with pulling smoke out into the room. The set up now has the fan about 12' from the face of the fireplace. If I could safely go a foot or 2 closer, I might like to do that. Won't be the end of the world if I can't. Just curious. Jim.

David Helm
07-15-2011, 11:21 AM
When in doubt, always go to manufacturer's recommendation. That is the final authority. Since that popcorn ceiling likely contains asbestos, I hope you're wearing a respirator with the appropriate cannisters. And definitely keep wetting it down as you go. Asbestos is at its most dangerous when it is friable (floating in the air).

Jim O'Dell
07-15-2011, 8:21 PM
No, the house was built in 1985. Should not have been any asbestos available then. It feels like soft styrofoam. And manufacturer of the ceiling fan or the fireplace insert? Jim.

Jeff Nicol
07-15-2011, 8:38 PM
Jim, I don't think moving it closer will make any difference, is the insert with glass doors that close and create a sealed combution area? If it is open make sure the flue damper is open when starting a fire and us good dry wood to start the fires and also keep the fan off until the fire is burning good so the draft of the chimney will be stronger than the fan. Also have the fan blowing the air down and not pull it up to circulate the air. I still think that since the fan blows the air slowly without any high velocity or CFM's.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Jim O'Dell
07-17-2011, 9:37 AM
Jeff, it does have glass doors, but they don't seal off completely. More heat radiates into the room with just the screens, even though there is a blower. I'm thinking more and more on leaving the fan where it is. I know it works fine there, and that is one fewer repair/change I have to make to the ceiling drywall. ;) Also, since we are thinking about doing this in August, fewer minutes up in the attic in the extreme heat. Thanks for the info! Jim.

David Helm
07-17-2011, 10:47 AM
It would be the insert manufacturer. I think, though, your last post makes the most sense. Especially if you have to go into the 140 degree attic. That can cause death. Not a good idea.

David G Baker
07-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Jim,
If you go into your attic for any length of time take an electric fan with you, this will help you stay alive and able to function. Keep the fan blowing on you so the evaporation of your sweat will help cool you off. I wear long sleeve cotton shirts so it will collect the moisture from the sweat and also help you stay cool.
I rewired my house in August in California, the attic temperature was above 130 degrees, with the fan I was able to spend over 8 hours in the attic with breaks every half hour.