PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of Flame

Eric Holmquist
07-14-2011, 7:15 PM
Sitting next to the fireplace in the winter got me into a flame imagery mood and I've made a series of turnings that I embellished with flames.

First to write any heated correspondence, a cherry pen with airbrushed flames. CA Finish.

Next, while attending a Shakespeare production at Yale Rep, I was reminded with the weird sisters in Macbeth and made their cauldron. Sycamore bowl with relief carved and airbrushed flames. My first attempt at relief carving. Topped with a maple lid and finial. Finished with Wipe-on-Poly

Next in response to an AAW chapter challenge of toothpick holders. Cherry toothpick holder with captured ring and airbrushed flames. Finished with rattle can lacquer.

To go with the toothpick holder, an pierced and airbrushed Sycamore bowl with flame imagery. Finish is PolyWhey, a waterborne finish made from Whey Protein.

And finally carved and airbrushed flame tongues out of a Beech bowl. Finish is EM6000 waterborne lacquer.

charlie knighton
07-14-2011, 7:18 PM
cool, i mean hothothot

my favorite is the toothpick holder

thanks for sharing

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 7:23 PM
The artisan-ship is superior in these pieces..........very creative and well executed. Very nice indeed!

Michael James
07-14-2011, 8:54 PM
smokin' brutha....! Beautiful work and it looks like a piano finish on the "cauldron". Thanks for upping the pics.
mj

Robert McGowen
07-14-2011, 9:04 PM
The little cauldron grabs your attention!

Baxter Smith
07-14-2011, 9:47 PM
Nice work Eric! Pretty cool flame bowls. Looks like a good thing to remember when I have a bowl with a cracked rim.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2011, 9:53 PM
Really nice work Eric. I like the pierced bowl and toothpick holder.

Jim Burr
07-15-2011, 12:15 AM
That's some cool work Eric...airbrush or tape and dye? No favorites...all good stuff!

Eric Holmquist
07-15-2011, 8:23 AM
Thanks all! It was all fun to make

Jim, I employed three flame layout methods during this exploration.

1) Draw the flames with a pencil, then once happy with the design, trace with a spear point tip on a burner. Apply frisket and cut on the burn line.

2) Draw the flames with 1/8" pinstriping tape. Apply frisket and cut down the middle of the tape to avoid any burn / cut line on the work.

3) Draw the flames on the frisket and cut out the pattern with scissors before applying the frisket to the piece.

In all three cases I primarily used transparent acrylic airbrush colors. For the cauldron I did airbrush a light yellow base of Transtint dye on the inside of the bowl and a light red base of Transtint to the bottom of the lid. These two dye efforts were followed up by a light cover ot transparent acrylic. Those were large enough areas that I thought they might benefit from dye soaking into the wood.

The black of the cauldron is Black Gesso brushed on.

While there was some spalt lines on some of the wood, none of it was highly figured. I hesitate to put a bunch of color and other distractions on wood that has great figure. Some day I will probably experiment with a multi-color dye job on some highly figured maple.

Billy Tallant
07-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Outstanding work on all pieces...:)