PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on shields for demonstrations??

Tim Rinehart
07-14-2011, 3:16 PM
Hey all, I'm looking into materials for a couple shields for our club demo lathes, 12" Rikons set on movable benches. The demos are for festivals and such where kids and adults watch us make stuff like tops, mushrooms, dippers, etc. Nothing too big, normally 2x2 stock. I'm looking at Lexan sheeting thinking it's ideal for this from an impact resistance standpoint, and perhaps 1/4" x 24" x 24" for each one...perhaps with some wings at side. I don't want to go crazy with too thick, as it drives cost and bulk to load/mount...but what is others experience and suggestions, including any suggestions on source of material. Thanks!

Michael James
07-14-2011, 3:20 PM
Some salad bars in restraunts should give you some ideas.
mj

Jamie Donaldson
07-14-2011, 3:27 PM
Go to a local golf course maintenance shop and ask if they have any old cart windshields available. Most are Lexan and clean up well with a coat of Armor All after some soap and water. I have given many of these away over the years from our rental fleets, as they have no value when mounts are broken, and some 2X4's and ingenious woodworkers can create wonders!

Chip Sutherland
07-14-2011, 3:42 PM
My club has 2 large plexiglass/lexan panels in 2x4 frames with removable/adjustable legs/feet. Probably 4'x4' each for our demo mini-lathes. They are not thick from what I remember. But our demostrations are always for small things: cars, tops, pens, etc. For a 16" Jet or PM 3520b, I have seen a removable shield mounted to a rod that is stuck in the whole of the duplicator bracket on the back It was probably 2'x2.5' of lexan framed in aluminum c-channel.