PDA

View Full Version : Low calorie pet food - Why require a prescription?

Stephen Tashiro
07-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I've noticed that some low calorie dog and cat foods require you to have a prescription in order to buy them. I can think of several humorous answers for why a prescription is needed, but I can't think of a serious one. Why require a perscription? Is it so low calories that thin animal might starve on it?

Ken Garlock
07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Good morning Stephen.

As I understand the situation, some animals in their senior years have problems that are not just food problems, but rather things like diabetes, reduced kidney function, etc. They are just like people, in their medical needs.

More specifically, I had a cat that had kidney failure. Not total failure, but such that two times a week we gave him an I-V of ringers solution using a hypodermic needle int he scruff of his neck. Upon the Vet's recommendation we fed him special food that attempted to mitigate his problem.

A couple years later, another of our cats became diabetic. He was on special food, and twice a day insulin injections. The insulin had to be carefully monitored to prevent insulin shock.

In both cases, we fed Science Diet prescription food. Each was oriented toward the specific cat's problem.

Our current cats are exclusively fed low-fat dry food since they are 100% indoor cats, and don't need to hunt for their food.

From what I have read on this and other forums, dogs have like problems. So yes, there is a need for prescription food for your pet, more than just being over weight.

Greg Portland
07-14-2011, 1:00 PM
I've noticed that some low calorie dog and cat foods require you to have a prescription in order to buy them. I can think of several humorous answers for why a prescription is needed, but I can't think of a serious one. Why require a perscription? Is it so low calories that thin animal might starve on it?
It's so people just can't pull it off the shelf, feed their pet, and then complain/sue because something bad happened (i.e. the food is not balanced for a typical pet diet, it's balanced for the health problem). IMO it also lets them charge more because it's medication.