PDA

View Full Version : Okay, really scary sharp, REALLY!!!

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 9:10 AM
Last evening Scott Hackler was asking about the razor edge.......if it can come off the wheel of the CBN wheel. I told him that I had only honed skews with a diamond stone, but would try to put a skew to the CBN.

Did that this morning.......this is the large, Alan Lacer skew.....very heavy, and I always had difficulty with it because I thought the way I purchased it, the bevel was just way too fat.

With the CBN wheel, and just a few minutes [15] this morning, I completely changed the bevel to a wider bevel and a thinner edge............whoa boy, what an edge!!! I hope the pics show up well........my skills at close up are not that great, but let me say, I would not want to this thing to slip and hit my arm........stitches for sure!!! I failed to get the edge perfect, that was my fault..........I stopped so I could get the pics posted.....I should have gone another pass to make it perfect.

Now I do have on the edge a little spot discolored because I pressed too hard, but if one just lets the tool rest against the wheel, no discoloration occurs......take a look. By the way, even with this heavy grinding to reshape the bevel.....the wheel shows no wear whatsoever!!!

Chris Burgess
07-14-2011, 9:30 AM
wow thats a good looking edge. I have slowly been getting my skews where they need to be in the terms of sharp, but I use my grinder then a 1x30" belt sander up to 1200 then leather strop w/ white compound. By the time I am done it is dinner time. 15 Mins sounds quite appealing. On that wheel is it rated in Grits like a stone wheel or there just one type....Awesome?

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 9:46 AM
wow thats a good looking edge. I have slowly been getting my skews where they need to be in the terms of sharp, but I use my grinder then a 1x30" belt sander up to 1200 then leather strop w/ white compound. By the time I am done it is dinner time. 15 Mins sounds quite appealing. On that wheel is it rated in Grits like a stone wheel or there just one type....Awesome?

Chris,

There are 2 grits available at this time, from D-way Tools......80 grit and 180 grit. I have the 180 grit. I shaved hair off my arm with this after I took the pics.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-14-2011, 9:50 AM
Does the new wheel keep the skew from skating?? :)

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 9:53 AM
Does the new wheel keep the skew from skating?? :)

Don't I wish! That is the reason I pressed too hard and got a little discoloration on the edge........I was pressing down on my grinder platform with my fist while pivoting the tool.........that is an acquired skill..........one that takes a good bit of practice to get the bevel and the edge to be one continuous flow.

Joe Bradshaw
07-14-2011, 1:44 PM
Well, I jumped on to the CBN grinding wheels band wagon with both feet. Boy, do they work fast, you really have to have a light touch.or you will wind up with a nub. I assumed that since I sharpened all my spindle gouges to the same angles and that the wear on the wheel was a not issue, that I could use a spacer to set the jig holder from the wheel. I also did the same for my bowl gouges.
201848 201852 201850 201849 201851

Scott Hackler
07-14-2011, 1:47 PM
Very interesting........

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 2:20 PM
Gee whiz, Joe, what a nice setup! I really like what you did there.............2 CBN wheels? Be still my beating heart! :D;)

Tim Thiebaut
07-14-2011, 2:32 PM
Well, I jumped on to the CBN grinding wheels band wagon with both feet. Boy, do they work fast, you really have to have a light touch.or you will wind up with a nub. I assumed that since I sharpened all my spindle gouges to the same angles and that the wear on the wheel was a not issue, that I could use a spacer to set the jig holder from the wheel. I also did the same for my bowl gouges.
201848 201852 201850 201849 201851

Best idea I have seen today that I bet a lot of us copy!! LOL...thanks for posting this Joe, I have faded little pencil marks on the arm of my wolverine jig to mark parting tool, skew...etc...etc...that of course are hard to see, wear off as you move the arm in and out, and get crud from the shop all over it making it even harder to see....yup, gonna go get me some pvc pipe this week!

Rick Markham
07-14-2011, 3:37 PM
Hey fellas, since we are talking about skew grinds, I really want to throw this one out there. This isn't my idea, this is how Eli Avisera (sp?) suggests grinding a skew. Instead of doing what we all want to with our nifty grinders and fast cutting wheels, and grind a concave hollow in our bevel. If you make the bevel convex (bullet shaped) the bevel is then in constant contact with the workpiece and the tool can be "rolled" on the bevel to present the cutting edge. The tool remains supported at all times, and when cutting the edge is supported as closely as is physically possible. It also makes freehand sharpening a snap. So far I haven't managed to get a catch with my skew since I started grinding this way. I tried the curved edge that Lacer suggests, and I think this way (to me) is superior, it dramatically improves tool control. So far I haven't been able to get out of control with it set up this way, and the finish is glass smooth (Like after a fine finishing plane has been there).

I urge anyone, who "has a bad relationship" or "isn't on speaking terms" with their skew to give this a shot, I think it will open a whole new world to you. Even you "skew masters" out there might find this a brilliant idea (like I said it wasn't mine :P)

Here are some pics of the shape of my skew. If you want directions on how to do this, I will gladly try and explain :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0255.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0254.jpg

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 3:47 PM
Rick,

I honestly do not know what is the best way to sharpen a skew.......concave or convex.........I suspect it is mostly about personal preference. All I know is the one I sharpened this morning...........I took it to a piece of hard maple I have chucked up at present...........curlees came off in long spiraling twists.............and I made a pummel like one would make for the top of a table leg, and boy the crispness of the cut and the fact that no tear out made for a sweet experience...........next time I make a table, I am actually looking forward to using this tool!

Rick Markham
07-14-2011, 4:18 PM
It's amazing what a shearing cut off a sharp skew is like, nothing else like it in woodturning. I agree, this is all about finding your happy place with grinds and shapes of our tools. I think the skew gets the better of a lot of turners... one bad catch and that's enough to "never want to do that again." I certainly don't blame anyone for that, it's human nature. So it's good to have lots of "tools" in our mental sharpening tool box. I'm just hoping this helps someone out, who might never want to touch their skew again, it's arguably one of the most versatile of turning tools. Carbide scrapers and cutters don't hold a candle to the finish you get with a sharp skew. I'm glad you're finally enjoying yours, it took me awhile to warm up to mine :)

David E Keller
07-14-2011, 4:29 PM
I sharpen my skew like you do, Rick. I got the idea from Jimmy Clewes when I took his class, and he freely admits that he borrowed it from Eli. To each his/her own, but I like the 'bullet' grind better.

Roger Chandler
07-14-2011, 8:26 PM
I sharpen my skew like you do, Rick. I got the idea from Jimmy Clewes when I took his class, and he freely admits that he borrowed it from Eli. To each his/her own, but I like the 'bullet' grind better.

David,

What is it that makes the convex grind work better for you?

David E Keller
07-14-2011, 8:30 PM
David,

It may be mental, but I feel like I have more control over the skew with that grind. The downside to it... Honing is a bit more difficult since I don't have the two points of contact for the hone to register. Sounds like you folks with the fancy wheels don't need to hone anyway!

John W Dixon
07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I could use a spacer to set the jig holder from the wheel. I also did the same for my bowl gouges.

Now that is a great idea. I think I may have to get a little pvc too.

Michael James
07-14-2011, 11:05 PM

I've seen that elsewhere and really have nothing to lose. I have 2 x 1" hss skews - I keep one straight by using the wolverine and the other is radiused using the flat tool rest. I'll keep the straight one as a neg scraper, soooooooooooooooooooo....do you sharpen on a belt or disk sander? Without buying a tormek is there a cheap alternative?
Thanks,
mj

Mike Willeson
07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
If you want directions on how to do this, I will gladly try and explain :)

I'd be interested in hearing how you do this...thanks.

Rick Markham
07-14-2011, 11:51 PM
David,

Roger, it's easier to use because it forces you to ride the bevel, whenever the tool is on the workpiece it is riding the bevel even when your not cutting, so presentation of the cutting edge to the wood is always supported by the bevel and is a smooth transition. With a hollow ground skew the tool is touching the workpiece in two small distinct points, one at the front of the bevel and one at the very back. With a bullet shape bevel there is a larger singular contact point and when cutting the contact point is directly behind the edge. (It makes it more stable)

Try it, Roger! If you have a small skew give it a whirl. Like I said I tried it both ways ;)

As for honing, David I have found it easier with this shape of bevel to stick my skew in my bench vise vertically and then use the stone in my hand. FWIW my Thompson skew doesn't need honing, so I haven't bothered to do a whole lot of it. Or we could all get dueling CBN wheels and never worry about honing again :)

Rick Markham
07-15-2011, 2:10 AM
Michael, Here are a couple of the videos I watched to learn. You don't need a tormek, just a grinder :)

This one is a good view of how to sharpen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHzhq11auQ

This one capt. Eddy does a reasonable job of explaining the theory behind it. Among other tips, it's a long video but not too painful ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie?blend=23&ob=5#p/u/40/JjnTt_3AXtA

David E Keller
07-15-2011, 3:19 PM
Thanks for the video link, Rick... That's pretty much what I do. I don't have a honing station setup like that... How many of you folks have taken the time to set up a grinder for honing?

Michael James
07-15-2011, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the video link, Rick... That's pretty much what I do. I don't have a honing station setup like that... How many of you folks have taken the time to set up a grinder for honing?

I have 2 x 3/4 MDF mounted on a faceplate to stick on the lathe.

Chris Burgess
07-15-2011, 4:25 PM
Instead of doing what we all want to with our nifty grinders and fast cutting wheels, and grind a concave hollow in our bevel. If you make the bevel convex (bullet shaped) the bevel is then in constant contact with the workpiece and the tool can be "rolled" on the bevel to present the cutting edge.

Rick,
I saw this in capn'eddies you tube and gave it a shot and am so happy I did. My catches have gone down while my control has gone up. This is a great grind.

Jake Helmboldt
07-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Can you put a radiused edge on a skew with that "bullet" grind? I'm sure there is a way to do it, but have any of you done that? Seems like it would be hard to do.

Rick Markham
07-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Jake, I don't see why you couldn't. I have been thinking about that since this thread started actually. I am pretty sure it's possible, I think it would be a lot of work to maintain, and mine works beautifully without the radius.