PDA

View Full Version : Moisture Meter

Mike Turner
07-14-2011, 5:18 AM
I have been looking at moisture meters and need opinions. I don't see the one at Lowes and seriously doubt our Lowes would have it...Doe anyone have an opinion on a decent one for someone needing a good one but not wanting to spend more than necessary ? Pin type would be ok as I have to turn my stock and would have waste any ways Thanks

Jerry Wright
07-14-2011, 7:13 AM
In my Lowes it is stocked in the plumbing area, not the tools area. It is in a General display carboard aisle display with an infrared temperature sensor. A number of posters have compared its accuracy to readings on their much more expensive units and have found it close enough to be a very usable shop addition.

Bill Bulloch
07-14-2011, 7:17 AM
I couldn't find it at my Lowes either, so I ask the Tool Man. It was hanging on a the side of an end display.

Alan Trout
07-14-2011, 9:08 AM
I bought the lowes unit as well. I had to ask where it was and at my lowes it was in the hardware area. Did make much sensed but they had a bunch of them. Compared readings to a friend of mines expensive one and it was very close to his. Not bad for ten bucks.

Alan

Scott Hackler
07-14-2011, 9:20 AM
I had to ask as well. I bought the last two they had on an end cap display. Tried it out when I got home. A (what I concidered) fully dry piece of walnut and a waxed up block of curly redwood I got from Mike Smith. The walnut registered as 6.7% and the redwood said 21% !!! Guess the redwood is WET!

Chris Burgess
07-14-2011, 9:24 AM
I am on my way to lowes to pick one of these up. 10 bucks!!!! wow you cant beat that.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2011, 10:33 AM
I got the last two at Lowes also. Had to ask and it was on a end cap in the tool section. I took it down to the local lumber yard and compared it to there $350 unit. They both read the same on both kiln dried wood and some of my waxed blanks from Mike Smith blanks.

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2011, 2:24 PM
Just picked mine up a couple of hours ago - quite the deal! Had to do some looking but found the meter located in the power tools section and there were a bunch of them! I did a check of various woods and the meter sure looks like it works well! Can't believe the price! Thanks for the heads up!!

Rick Markham
07-14-2011, 4:56 PM
Now I have to go to Lowes... I wonder where it's going to be.

Don Nicholas
07-14-2011, 8:27 PM
I picked up the last one (on the end cap) that my local Lowes. One question, will wax coated blanks and turning stock, alter the accuracy of the reading?
Thanks for your reply.

Mike Turner
07-14-2011, 9:04 PM
Well my Lowes did have them and I got one on an endcap in the tool center

Jerome Hanby
07-14-2011, 10:00 PM
I saw a post on another website comparing the General's readings to a much more expensive unit. The deviation was close enough for me and at 10 bucks was a no-brainer.

Michael James
07-14-2011, 11:48 PM
yessir..... bought it online tonight and will pick it up tomorrow after work. 2 mile drive and no shiipping costs, :p.

Chris Burgess
07-15-2011, 9:23 AM
Just picked mine up. Mike I know this is not what you were looking for but mine was on an endcap in the tools department. Did you ask by chance, I was told they were by the Mold Testing then they were moved. There is a good chance it is there. Mine showed for $19.98 on the tag but still rang for $9.98. Going out to test it now.

Eric Holmquist
07-15-2011, 9:26 AM
I have to swing by Lowes on the way home from work and see if any are left at my Lowes!

steven carter
07-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Bought 2 yesterday al Lowes, but had to tell them that they had them, and was sent to 4 different departments.

Dave Ogren
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I bought one last Saturday at Lowes, looked all over even had help and finally found it in the electrical dept. When I asked why there, they said it was because of the infrared thermometer in the same box. That made even less sense.

Steve Harder
07-15-2011, 2:26 PM
For those who's Lowes is out of stock - search ebay for "http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mhdt1RmYa4tUzfoH6RC8lFQ/140.jpg (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A5333&rt=nc&_nkw=moisture+meter+wood&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1#)Digital Moisture Wood Firewood Damp Meter Tester 2-Pin (http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Moisture-Wood-Firewood-Damp-Meter-Tester-2-Pin-/390220681003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adaf70f2b)

This one was $9.93 including shipping - appears to be identical to item I purchased on ebay a year ago - and I've found mine to be very accurate.

Dave Bunge
07-15-2011, 3:22 PM
I ordered mine through Lowes.com same as an earlier poster. When you checkout, select option to Pick Up In Store. They will email you when it's ready and you pick it up at the service desk. There is no added charge for in-store pick up.

The impression I got from website is that if the store was out of stock they would send a new one to the store to cover your order. But I don't know that for certain.

Don Nicholas
07-15-2011, 4:19 PM
Is there an "end cap" on EBay?

Tim Leiter
07-16-2011, 12:10 PM
I see what you mean about "hard to find" at Lowes. I asked my daughter to pick one up for me from the Lowes in her city when she was coming to drop of 3 of my grandkids for a couple days. I gave her the item name, make, model number and item number from the Lowe's web site. She said it took between a half-hour and forty-five minutes and the help from 4 departments before they could find it for her at the store. She said the staff looked it up on the computer and said they had 18 in stock, but just didn't know where they were. They finally found them in the flooring department. I tried it out and I love it. I have a meter from HF with just lights on it, (I never could figure it out), this one with the digital readout looks like it should be a great improvement.

Thanks for the tip, Sawmill Creekers.

Scott Hussey
07-16-2011, 2:34 PM
I just picked one up at my lows and did a little testing with it on some 2 x4 and some of my wet wood and it seems to be giving me reasonably accurate readings comparatively. The 2xs are in the 5.3 to 5.8 range and my wet wood is in the 10 to 13 percent range

For $10 you can't beat this tool.