PDA

View Full Version : New member in Illinois ***PICS***

Jeff Pilcher
02-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Hello everyone, I recently joined the forum and I am already enjoying the information available here.

I thought I would introduce myself before I start begging for answers and ideas.

I've been making sawdust for more than 20 years but I still consider myself a beginner (sometimes I make more sawdust than actual finished projects). I do my WW in my garage (when I can keep the wife’s car out of it and it’s nice enough to park the motorcycle outside) using a variety of power and hand tools. I started by buying a Shopsmith in 1983 and have slowly added more tools over time. Several years ago I made the leap and starting buying quality tools as my cheap tools began to die. My tool list includes the following:

Shopsmith Mark V, Model 500
(bandsaw, jointer, jig saw and belt sander attachments)
Portable belt sander
Random orbit sander
Power and cordless drills
Portable circular saw
Saber saw
Biscuit jointer
Power miter saw
Porter Cable router (fixed and plunge base)
Drill Doctor
Cheap dovetail jig
Misc hand planes
Dewalt 734 thickness planer (my most recent purchase)

I have built a variety of items including small tables, toy boxes, toys, book shelves, etc. Most of these projects were built to withstand the stress of rapidly growing children (strong and not too fancy). Eventually I will start building fancier projects (the last kid is finally in college).

My next several projects will be to build a new bed for my son and then I plan to build a variety of storage cabinets to better organize my shop, starting with a roller cabinet for misc. tool storage (I am a shade tree mechanic too). I plan to use the experience gained with these projects to raise my level of craftsmanship so I want to experiment with different methods of cabinet construction.

Here are a couple of pictures of my recent work (stereo cabinet and a loft for my daughter’s dorm room).

http://www.epilcher.com/wood/Stereo-05a.jpg

http://www.epilcher.com/wood/Stereo-03.jpg

http://www.epilcher.com/wood/Loft-02.jpg

http://www.epilcher.com/wood/Loft-04.jpg

http://www.epilcher.com/wood/Loft-05.jpg

http://www.epilcher.com/wood/Loft-06.jpg

Mike Tempel
02-16-2005, 6:33 AM
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Creek. It is truly a great place to gather and share information and I hope you plan to do plenty of both. It looks like you are an accomplished WWer already. As I look at your pics I noticed the attention to detail and the tightness of the joints. You are selling yourself somewhat short by saying you are a beginner.

Welcome aboard and hope you wade in often.

Karl Laustrup
02-16-2005, 6:38 AM
Welcome, Jeff. I have to agree with Mike, your work is, I believe, beyond beginner. Very nice detail.

Be careful though, the next thing you know you'll be wanting all these new tools you're reading about here on the forum. :D

Bill Arnold
02-16-2005, 6:39 AM
... I thought I would introduce myself before I start begging for answers and ideas.

I've been making sawdust for more than 20 years but I still consider myself a beginner (sometimes I make more sawdust than actual finished projects). ...
Jeff,

Welcome aboard! This is a great place to exchange information and learn. The quality of your work sure speaks to your being well beyond 'beginner' phase!

Regards,

Jeff Sudmeier
02-16-2005, 8:10 AM
Jeff,

Welcome to the creek! Your work is definately above beginer work.

I have built a few lofts for bed in my time, but WOW, that one isn't going anywhere, very well built! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2005, 8:16 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek Jeff! Neat place to hang out and exchange ideas and opinions! From beginners to pros....they're all here! By the way.....based on viewing your work, you're not in the beginner class. Thanks for posting the pictures, they'll keep the Photo Cops off your back! Again.....Welcome!

Jeff Pilcher
02-16-2005, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone and thanks for the boost to my ego. I posted those specific pics because they represented my best joint work so far (wish I could say they all look like that).

I am sure I will spend much time here and I know it will be time well spent. I will certainly jump in when I think I have something to contribute.

I have built a few lofts for bed in my time, but WOW, that one isn't going anywhere, very well built!My daughter wanted it tall enough to walk under so I made it with 6' clearance below the rails and her dorm room had 9' ceilings. I made it sturdy because I wanted to make sure it would stand up to all apsects of college life (I still have my head in the sand on this one though:eek: ).

I am planning to put some real effort into improving my finishing skills. Until now most of my work is finished with light stain and poly, but it's time to raise the bar now so I will be reading all I can.

Thanks again for the welcome, stay tuned for more pics as I will be starting my next project soon.

http://www.epilcher.com/wood/bed1.jpg

Jerry Olexa
02-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Welcome and Very Nice work!! Like the joints and dovetails,etc.. You're beyond an amateur!

Jason Tuinstra
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Jeff, welcome to SMC! It's a great place with lots of great guys. Your work is very nice and a welcome addition. I especially like the look of the loft that you built for your daughter. It looks to be very rugged and sturdy. Thanks for showing it off.

Ted Shrader
02-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Jeff -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

Some nice work you have there. I really like the bed assembly. Definitely well past beginner! :) :)

Still have a Shopsmith in my garage. Gets used these days only as a drill press. You can produce some good work with one of those (witness your photos) and they are space/weight savers if you move a lot.

Welcome,
Ted

lou sansone
02-16-2005, 12:23 PM
welcome to SMC.. I am also a new member and find all the help here great. Folks really seem to be helpfull and full of complements. Your work looks great. I just finished with paying for my son's college, so I know the feeling of writing the last big check...., except that my oldest now decided @ 30 to go back to college!

keep making dust
lou

Jeff Pilcher
02-16-2005, 12:37 PM
... except that my oldest now decided @ 30 to go back to college! That scenario terrifies me, too. My daughter is now using the word MASTERS in conversation (she is 22). Thankfully she has a great employer that has a very good tuition reimbursment program.

Gary Sutherland
02-16-2005, 5:14 PM
Jeff...

Very nice work.

Do you use the ShopSmith as your tablesaw? I've always heard that feature is the one big weak point of the machine. Obviously if you've built these projects with it, then it's done what you needed, but have you found it to be frustrating or more dangerous than a conventional tablesaw?

gary

Jeff Pilcher
02-16-2005, 5:30 PM
Gary,

I do use the Shopsmith as it is my only table saw. However, I tend to use it mainly for ripping. I have a 12" miter saw that I use for cross cutting most stuff and I use a straight edge and portable power saw for larger cross cuts (can't seem to make a square cross cut on large pieces on the Shopsmith). For dados I use the router.

I should mention that I am pretty happy with the Shopsmith. I did my first woodworking on my dads 10ER almost 40 years ago. Compared to that, the Mark V is pretty nice. Dad still has the 10ER, I am trying to talk him out of it since he hasn't used it in almost 10 years.

I have been considering the Shopsmith upgrades (520 Pro Fence), but I could buy a very nice cabinet saw for less money. If only I had unlimited space :rolleyes: .

John Bailey
02-16-2005, 7:08 PM
Welcome to the Creek. I suggest you hurry any buy tools now before the college expenses add up. Nice work.

John

Jim Becker
02-16-2005, 7:56 PM
Welcome! Those projects are great. I used a similar "loft" when I was in college many years ago...it maximized space in the room(s) over the four years, especially when I was in a tiny single my senior year. Very practical and perfect for continued use in later times should she choose to raise a family.

Andy Haney
02-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Welcome. I mostly lurk, but sometimes jump in with a question or comment. I sure wish I could be a beginner too!

My baby girl is also 22 (next week). Maybe we share some similar pains, as I also choose to remain in the dark sometimes.

Bill Arnold
02-17-2005, 7:25 AM
... I am planning to put some real effort into improving my finishing skills. Until now most of my work is finished with light stain and poly, but it's time to raise the bar now so I will be reading all I can. ...
Jeff,

If you don't already have it, get Jeff Jewitt's book, 'Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing'. It makes for good reading and serves as a great reference book. Like you, I need to continue to improve my finishing skills and the book has helped immensely.

Regards,

Max Schultz
02-17-2005, 7:41 AM
As you will soon find out this is one of the better places to belong. I am a relatively new member myself and have learned to appreciate the other members with a deep respect. As others have said, your work is beyond "beginner" and that speaks for itself.
WELCOME
Max Schultz
Warsaw, IN

Mark J Bachler
02-17-2005, 8:09 AM
Jump in the creek & wade around some. I like the loft design. When my daughter was in college I made a bunch of loft kits for her to sell to keep her in spending money. They went like hot cakes (or free beer at college).