PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Cory Norgart!!

Steve Schlumpf
07-13-2011, 9:52 PM
On the last day of the AAW symposium in St. Paul, I was walking around, saying my goodbyes and getting ready to leave when fellow Creeker Cory Norgart (UP North Burls) found me over by the Carter Hollowing booth. We talked for a short bit and then he handed me this beautiful chunk of Black Ash Burl! He told me to enjoy it but that he wanted to see what I could do with it! Wow – Thanks Cory!! :D

Well, like most everyone, I have been very busy since the symposium and today was my first chance to turn! I grabbed the wood that Cory had gifted me and this is what I roughed out. It is soaking in DNA at this time but I have hopes that I can get it finished in time for a competition that I plan on entering.

So, to prove that I actually got to turn something today, here are the photographs!

201763 201756 201759 201758 201761 201757 201760 201762

Not much you can comment about when it is just a rough out, but feel free! I didn't take any measurements but the vase is about 6" tall.

When the time comes, I will post the finished piece in a new thread.

Thanks again Cory! Sure is some beautiful wood! I'm willing to bet that Cory has more burl - if anyone is interested!

David E Keller
07-13-2011, 9:58 PM
Yuck! That wood looks terrible! It's got spots all over it, and it's all rippled! In fact, I don't see a bit of straight grain on the entire thing... No wonder he gave it to you!

Since you went through all the trouble to rough it out and soak it, I guess I'll look at the pics you post when it's finished.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Looks like it's off to a great start. I look forward to seeing it completed.

Roger Chandler
07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Exceptional figure in that black ash burl.........beginning of a very nice hf, there Steve.........I think it will be a looker when you get done with it!

David DeCristoforo
07-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Oh "just a rough out", is it? Well it's too bad you put so much work into such a mundane piece of wood. I would not even be interested in any of that. No, not at all... I guess the form is OK though. Just about as sweet as it gets. But it would have been so much nicer with a decent piece of material.

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Great looking rough out Steve. I don't know if that will be like the black ash bowl I turned but when it dried it was like trying to cut concrete. Look forward to seeing it finished and how it turned for you.

Baxter Smith
07-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Great looking piece of wood! I first saw a piece of Black Ash Burl at Totally Turning this spring. It made a lasting impression! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Scott Hackler
07-14-2011, 12:18 AM
hmmmm. Makes me want to go back out into the garage and rough out a piece of the black ash burl I brought home. Sadly I didn't buy a piece as big at that one. It's gonna look fantastic, I am sure.

John Keeton
07-14-2011, 6:56 AM
Steve, that is an amazing piece of wood! Quite a change from your standard maple pieces. Love the form, too. Hope it is workable when dry and doesn't distort too much.

Tim Rinehart
07-14-2011, 8:51 AM
I think that looks like it's gonna be a killer piece, super concentration of eyes. The big question in my mind...is whether you will dye it or not! Such a beautiful burl on its own, but if anyone can make it better with some dye...I suspect it's you Steve! Looking forward to seeing complete piece.

Alan Trout
07-14-2011, 9:10 AM
Steve,

That is an incredible piece of wood and a beautiful form.

Alan

Chris Burgess
07-14-2011, 9:31 AM
David,
Hilarious!!

Steve,
Great piece. That wood is spectacular.

Harvey Ghesser
07-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi Steve,
I just wanted to echo those here and say that the burl is wonderful but regarding the form....your skill is awesome!!

charlie knighton
07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
nice form, nice wood, very nice of Cory

Rick Markham
07-14-2011, 3:53 PM
Not much to be said about that Black Ash stuff... certainly couldn't attach spectacular, or amazing, or incredible... just teasing!

You're form fits it truly perfectly (as always Steve) I love it's proportions, and it's very fluid. I am looking forward to seeing the end product on this one! I think it just might be a "beauty" ;)

Cory Norgart
07-19-2011, 7:12 AM
Looks great Steve, the dna should help the drying process, Im sure it will be ready for your your competition. Cant wait to see the finished.