PDA

View Full Version : Just finished Plane with Macassar Ebony wooden Bits

Ron Brese
07-13-2011, 8:56 PM
I've not posted here for quite some time. Actually I've not posted anywhere for quite some time. Been a shop hobbit and haven't come out to see the light of day for a while.

The specs 8" sole length, 1.875" wide iron. The body is made from 410 stainless steel. Weight 4 lbs. 4 ozs. Pitch is 50 degrees. Macassar ebony tote and knob.

Ron

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-13-2011, 9:22 PM
That's purty, I'm jealous! Any more construction details? It's not one piece of stainless, is it? If it works half as good as it looks, it must be a great thing to have around!

reminds me, I've got a half-done infill kicking around in pieces here somewhere...

george wilson
07-13-2011, 9:25 PM
Very graceful and neat!! Did Johnny Kleso make the cap screw with the nice threads?

Andrew Gibson
07-13-2011, 9:33 PM
One thing is for sure, if Ron made it I would put money down that it works at least as good as it looks... good chance it works better.

Great to see you posting some of your work Ron. Any chance you will be coming down to Tampa anytime, it's be well over a year sense you were down here with Lie Nielsen.

george wilson
07-13-2011, 10:36 PM
That front knob is also very well proportioned. BTW,Chris Vesper is staying with us for a week this Fall.

Ron Brese
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
George, you are correct. That is some of Johhny's work. I met Chris at the WIA event in Berea, a nice young man. I'm assuming he'll be staying with you around time for WIA?

Ron

Mark Wyatt
07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Ron,

What is at the base of the front knob? It is not clear in the picture.
And, wow, that is nice. I love the clean lines.

Ron Brese
07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Mark that's a brass seat for the knob. As you can see there are no fasteners showing on the woodwork of this tool. There is a threaded stud in the knob that also threads into the brass seat as well. It may be clearer in this picture. Attaching the rear tote with no fasteners showing was much trickier to accomplish.

Ron

Bruce Page
07-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Drop Dead Gorgeous! Can you elaborate on the rear tote attachment?

george wilson
07-13-2011, 11:40 PM
He said he wants to study with me. Don't know about the WIA show. Where is it?

The blade is not down flat against the steel piece against the handle. Is there another layer in there? Did Johnny make the cap also? I guess he had to at least thread the hole to fit the screw.

Chris Vandiver
07-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Ron that's a very nice looking plane. Is it going to be a production plane?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-14-2011, 5:51 AM
One thing is for sure, if Ron made it I would put money down that it works at least as good as it looks... good chance it works better.

Yeah, somehow, when I made my post, I totally missed the fact that this was Ron. (Apparently my reading comprehension is really weak.) Of course it works amazingly!

Ron Brese
07-14-2011, 8:16 AM
George the Woodworking in America Event is at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center (across the river from Cincinnati) Sept. 1st thru Oct. 2nd. Johnny made the screw which has a standard acme thread, I made the lever cap here and tapped it with a tandem acme tap.

The iron beds on the sole and on a brass bedding seat which is located on the bedding plate exactly where the lever cap screws applies pressure to the iron. The seat is tuned using a piece of 1/2 thou feeler gauge under a parallel right at the top of the bed angle section of the sole. I'm quite deliberate about achieving a perfectly square bed angle section of the sole so the bedding is very accurate and solid. In this plane nothing moves but the shaving. (Grin)

The rear tote is secured at two points. There are a couple of fasteners thru the bedding plane into the rear tote and at the heel of the plane there is a precision shoulder screw in the sole and a brass yoke in a mortise on the bottom of the tote. The yoke engages the shoulder screw and gets tighter as the tote is moved forward into it's seated position. Works a dream.

Ron

george wilson
07-14-2011, 9:02 AM
Can you post pictures of this yolk area without the blade in? It would be clearer what you mean. My old brain isn't working this morning as I never get REM sleep,and stay tired out a lot.

How is the body held together?

Ron Brese
07-14-2011, 9:23 AM
The plane is packed as I'm traveling to Maine today for the Lie-Nielsen 30th Anniversary Open House. I'll post pics of these parts when I return.

Ron

John A. Callaway
07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
aaahhhh..... WANT !!!

Tony Shea
07-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Just got back from the Maine LN event and had the chance to give these planes a go for the first time in my life. Ron had to straighten my technique out a bit as I'm so used to getting my stance rock solid and putting plenty of pressure down on the plane. Gotta love the effort involved in pushing a stanley style plane accross the board. Basically Ron's plane ended up just planing itself and I could have pushed the thing with just my right index finger to get the same amazing shaving from the very curly maple. Was just awesome and now understand what the fuss is about. His olivewood plane had to be my absolute favorite, a very useful work of art. Oh, and Ron was a very good guy to speak with. The event was very nice.

Gordon Eyre
07-16-2011, 2:21 PM
This is a beautiful piece of work Ron. Congrats.

Gary Herrmann
07-16-2011, 4:46 PM
Beautiful work as always, Ron.