View Full Version : Waco, TX....here I come!!!

Scott Hackler
07-13-2011, 5:11 PM
The supreme lathe commander (along with the real boss) have decided that the 8 hour drive is not too far way and so I (and the LOML) will be heading down to the SWAT Symposium!!! If it is half as much fun as St Paul, it will be a fantastic event!! Maybe this time I will actually make it to more than 1 demo!

Now....what to take with me......

Ken Fitzgerald
07-13-2011, 5:41 PM
Congrats Scott! I am jealous.

charlie knighton
07-13-2011, 5:42 PM
Now....what to take with me......

memememememeeeee!!!!!!!!

we want pictures and report

enjoy and be safe!!!!

David Warkentin
07-13-2011, 6:04 PM
Now....what to take with me......[/QUOTE]

Lots of money?

Scott Hackler
07-13-2011, 6:15 PM
The good thing is that I went on a lunatic buying binge in St Paul, so there isn't a whole lot that I have on my wish list. I have a MUCH smaller list, this time. Expecially if D-Way isn't coming to sell their CBN wheels. Having held my new Thompson 16" handle for a while now, I really like it and might be giving Doug some more $$.

Plus if I win the Stubby I wont feel the need to buy a bunch of stuff!!! :)

David E Keller
07-13-2011, 8:02 PM
I'll see you there, Scott. The wife and I are making the trip as well. Since I didn't make it to St. Paul, I'll be on the ridiculous buying spree this time. I'm a bit disappointed that Dave's not gonna make it... I may has to order now, or it could be long time before SWMBO allows for anything after Waco. I'm not sure I can withstand the CBN crew's mockery much longer anyway.

Mike Smith is going to be there, and he'll be fresh off his Pacific northwest wood gathering spree... Walnut, madrone, Myrtle, BLM, etc. Did your list just get a little longer? I know mine seems to be growing!

Kathy Marshall
07-13-2011, 8:09 PM
Color me green!
Have fun and take lots of pics!

John McCaskill
07-13-2011, 9:39 PM
See 'ya there!

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Have a great time Scott. Let us know how it went.

Baxter Smith
07-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Have a great time Scott! I am sure you will come up with something you need. Just attend a couple of demo's and you will.

Scott Hackler
07-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Have a great time Scott! I am sure you will come up with something you need. Just attend a couple of demo's and you will.

Thanks what I am afraid of Baxter! I only made it to one of the demos (Trent Bosch) and ended up buying his carving stand for your chuck. That cost me $150! And after I got home I promptly went to HF and bought an air autobody saw for rapid stock removal prior to carving (another $15!). Watched Molly Winton making one of her signature vessels and walked away with a $189 wood burner!! And the list goes on and on.... lol

Of course I wanted both of those things before....but they helped push me over the edge!

Keller, you better bring a carry-on suit case on wheels! A little tip I learned from Mr. Keaton!

Chip Sutherland
07-14-2011, 4:16 PM
I'll be there. I think I will probably help my club in the registration booth. That's a great place to meet up with friends. Unfortunately, Marriott wouldn't cough up a room for me and my Reward points. I'm staying north of town. Free save a little driving each morning. Figure I'll have $250 for the vendors. I don't need wood or tools but I must feed the vortex...

Jim Adkins
07-14-2011, 4:29 PM
Will see you all there. Bring stuff for the instant gallery by all means. Do we need a volunteer locally to plan a "get-together". SWAT has a very similar program of events as AAW. Am anxious to see Doug Fisher's rotations on his Pacific Northwest Native Art stuff. AND....D-way tools, com'on Dave, make the SWAT thing, two turners need Dia. wheels.

David E Keller
07-14-2011, 4:31 PM
Will see you all there. Bring stuff for the instant gallery by all means. Do we need a volunteer locally to plan a "get-together". SWAT has a very similar program of events as AAW. Am anxious to see Doug Fisher's rotations on his Pacific Northwest Native Art stuff. AND....D-way tools, com'on Dave, make the SWAT thing, two turners need Dia. wheels.

What would you all think of trying to get some tables together for lunch each day? I don't mind heading out for a bite to eat after a day's session, but the lunch thing seems like a cheap and easy solution. Now, if we could only figure out some way to identify each other... Wonder if Keeton has any stickers left?

Rick Markham
07-14-2011, 4:39 PM
I have to live vicariously through you guys again! You better take a camera with lots of memory cards! Y'all have fun, I guess I will have to go back to turning now :D

Don Geiger
07-17-2011, 7:38 AM
Hi Scott:

I'll be out there again this year. I just made my plane reservations last week. A friend of mine, Wayne Fitch, lives in Weatherford and is going to take me to his place after the symposium so we can play around in his new 60' X 40 shop. I just sent him a nice 21 lb. piece of Cuban Mahogany I was able to obtain from Thomas Edison's home in Fort Meyers, FL. Maybe he'll have turned it by the time I get out there.

Look me up in the trade show area. I'd like to meet you. I was in Saint Paul with the smily face on my badge, but I don't remember meeting you.

Don Geiger

Jeff Nicol
07-17-2011, 9:51 AM
Scott, Leave your wallet in the hotel room and you will get to see more demos! Hope you have a great time and get to meet some more creekers and re-visit some you got to meet in St. Paul. I don't feel like driving more than 10 miles after the Idaho trip, so I will just walk to the shop instead!

Have fun and stay cool,

Jeff

Kelvin Burton
07-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Scott, I thought the Stubby was mine!? :p I'll hopefully see you there. Our club runs the Instant Gallery and my wife and I will be helping out there for some of the shifts. Mike had some great wood deals last year, guess he will again this year. Looking forward to seeing some Creekers - how come Bernie's not making the trip from Kansas, it's only two states away!

David E Keller
07-17-2011, 11:19 AM
... Our club runs the Instant Gallery and my wife and I will be helping out there for some of the shifts. ...

Kelvin, what's the procedure for bringing pieces to the gallery? Is there a limit on the number that can be brought? I'm considering bringing some of the miniature turnings that I enjoy doing, so they wouldn't take up much space. I'd like to bring a larger piece or two as well. Any help you can provide regarding the procedure is greatly appreciated.

Scott Hackler
07-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes, I agree, that would be helpful information. I know at St Paul, registered members were SUPPOSED to be able to bring a MAXIMUM of 3 pieces. That little rule wasnt entirely adheared to because several people had 5 or more things (not that it mattered). I am thinking about draggin some stuff down as well and would like to know how many we should limit ourselves to.

Jim, are you you going to bring some of your SW basket designed turnings??? I would really like to see them again and the other Creekers would definitely be in for a treat if you did bring at least one along.

Kelvin Burton
07-17-2011, 9:36 PM
I don't recollect any limit, I saw some turners had many items in display, but I will check with the guy who is in charge and get back with the official response. Lyle Jamieson had some very large pieces as did some other turners.

PS: I just checked the SWAT web site and on the Instant Gallery page there's a form to download so you can pre-fill it before arrival. It has space for up to 7 items and the following text:

"NOTE: The artist will be responsible for sale and delivery of items to purchasers.
Artists are encouraged to bring multiple pieces to the Instant Gallery (IG). The
IG Sponsor will make the final decision on number of pieces artists may display
based on the total number of items and available table space."

Dave Mueller
07-18-2011, 6:45 PM
Guys,
There hasn't been any more discussion about a SWAT get together. If a dinner is not in the cards, at least we could get a couple of adjacent tables for lunch on Friday.

Incidentally, when I first joined SMC, I didn't pay attention to the requirement that we use our real names :(, and subsequently decided not to change because I didn't like disclosing mine on-line. However, since one of our illustrious moderators is an attorney and he seems OK with full disclosure, who am I to be concerned. So, Dave Bryan (my original posting name) is now correctly shown as Dave Mueller. (It would have been a problem explaining this when we meet anyway). So, as penance, for SWAT I will make some sticky "hang tags" we can attach to the bottom of our badges. Something like "I'm a Creeker!". With the permission of the forum administrator, I can also put the SMC logo as a background watermark. I'll bring a bunch and figure a way to distribute them. Maybe Doug will let us do so from his booth? See you guys there!!! Bring your credit cards - the exhibitors are calling!

John McCaskill
07-18-2011, 7:23 PM
I like the idea of the "I'm A Creeker" hangtags. I'm all for lunch together every day. Makes the lottery (uh, I meant drawing) more fun. We could maybe plan to meet initially at some predesignated spot? Doug's booth or another?

John

Guys,
There hasn't been any more discussion about a SWAT get together. If a dinner is not in the cards, at least we could get a couple of adjacent tables for lunch on Friday.

Incidentally, when I first joined SMC, I didn't pay attention to the requirement that we use our real names :(, and subsequently decided not to change because I didn't like disclosing mine on-line. However, since one of our illustrious moderators is an attorney and he seems OK with full disclosure, who am I to be concerned. So, Dave Bryan (my original posting name) is now correctly shown as Dave Mueller. (It would have been a problem explaining this when we meet anyway). So, as penance, for SWAT I will make some sticky "hang tags" we can attach to the bottom of our badges. Something like "I'm a Creeker!". With the permission of the forum administrator, I can also put the SMC logo as a background watermark. I'll bring a bunch and figure a way to distribute them. Maybe Doug will let us do so from his booth? See you guys there!!! Bring your credit cards - the exhibitors are calling!

John McCaskill
07-18-2011, 7:25 PM
Forgot to say, I'm driving up from Houston Thursday afternoon and back Sunday afternoon. Anybody want a ride, give me a shout.

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 7:51 PM
Some type of name tag modification sounds great, and I like the idea of having a couple of tables at lunch. Dave(assuming that's your real name), does your penance include making a sign or two for a lunch table or tables?

Doug's booth would be a great place to meet up... I've got a little shopping to do there anyway!

Alan Trout
07-18-2011, 8:51 PM
The lunch tables are a great idea. Lunch is always good and that is the cheap option which will leave more money for goodies.

Alan

Scott Hackler
07-18-2011, 8:53 PM
Expecially cheap if you've registered (lunch is provided)!

Dave Mueller
07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
"Some type of name tag modification sounds great, and I like the idea of having a couple of tables at lunch. Dave(assuming that's your real name), does your penance include making a sign or two for a lunch table or tables?"

David, yes my penance will include a couple of "Reserved" signs. I'll probably pick two tables in the rear center so tying up premium location tables will not upset other attendees. I'll leave Sawmill tags in Doug's booth on Friday morning, assuming that's OK with him. I'll also have some with me at the tables for lunch. See everyone at the lunch tables, if not before.

Doug Thompson
07-19-2011, 4:08 PM
David, yes my penance will include a couple of "Reserved" signs. I'll probably pick two tables in the rear center so tying up premium location tables will not upset other attendees. I'll leave Sawmill tags in Doug's booth on Friday morning, assuming that's OK with him. I'll also have some with me at the tables for lunch. See everyone at the lunch tables, if not before.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

Sure drop off the tags. The lunch table sign is a great idea could I suggest a table on the outskirts away from the lunch line so we won't bother anyone.

Dave Mueller
07-19-2011, 4:49 PM
Doug,
Thanks for the use and abuse of your booth. I'll drop some tags by as soon as I arrive. I had the same thought about the tables - will probably get them in the back.

John McCaskill
07-20-2011, 7:41 PM
OK, looking forward to it!