PDA

View Full Version : Why is this so hard? Grizzly 0690/0691 vs 1023RL/1023RLX

Dave Gordon
07-13-2011, 2:06 PM
I am ready to pull the trigger on a new saw. I really wanted to purchase a SawStop for the brake feature, but in Canada, it's about a $1,800 premium over any of these Grizzly saws, and I just can't stretch the budget that much. Locally I can also look at Steel City, Laguna and General but the price/value comparison against the Grizzly saws is very compelling, and I also know that Grizzly continually gets rave reviews for their quality and customer service.

So, having settled on a Grizzly, I have this dilemma. These four models are all within $250 of each other, and besides the obvious advantage of the longer rails and capacity of the 691 and RLX models, it seems to be a list of pros and cons that makes this a maddening choice!

0690/0691 PROs
Established trunion design
Leeson motor
Established model, lots of reviews, pretty much all good

1023RL/RLX PROs
Blade shroud
Serpentine belt
Slightly less to ship to Canada

Dust collection is increasingly important to me, and I only have a small dust collection unit (Dust Deputy w/ Shopvac) so that's a big advantage to the 1023s, but the new trunion design just looks less robust to me, and they don't have the history that the 690 has. I think there are differences in the fences as well, but I can't be certain. The 1023RLX is the most expensive of the three but it lists the 'Shop Fox Classic' fence specifically so I'm not sure of what the others include. I also know the Leeson motors are highly regarded and they are very efficient.

I have a pretty limited amount of experience with table saws, starting with a Ridgid Jobsite saw (3 years, sold it), then a Ridgid Contractor saw (3 weeks, returned it) and now I am saw-less in my garage shop. I want this to be the last time I shop for a buy a saw, so I want to get it right.

I've had both saws in my cart and my finger hovering the order button, but I honestly don't know what the right saw for me is. If the 1023 had the 690 style trunions I'd have bought it already, but they don't and I can't seem to make up my mind.

Help a new guy out?

Paul McGaha
07-13-2011, 2:16 PM
Hi Dave,

I went to the Grizzly site to look at the different models. If I were you I'd get the G0691. I have a Unisaw about that size and love the table space on the side of it and the 50" or so capacity.

Just my $.02. Good luck with it.

PHM

Mark Engel
07-13-2011, 2:26 PM
I'm not sure I can help with your choice, but if you have decided on a Grizzly you need to check out this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169164-10-off-Grizzly-code

Dave Gordon
07-13-2011, 2:30 PM
I'm not sure I can help with your choice, but if you have decided on a Grizzly you need to check out this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169164-10-off-Grizzly-code

Oh wow! Donated!

Mark, thank you so much!

Mike Tekin
07-13-2011, 2:49 PM
Dave,

I have the Shopfox version of the Grizzly 0690. It was setup perfectly at the factory, no adjustments needed and cuts like a hot knife through butter. Prior to this, I had the Ridgid granite hybrid saw and all I can say is there is a HUGE difference in performance, build quality, ease of setup, sound, you name it.

I will tell you that, in my opinion, the dust collection isn't as good at the table insert as it could be - I have a 2HP Grizzly Dust Collector and it doesn't collect enough dust up there, thus a blade shroud such as what the 1023 has would be great. I am going to try to seal around the bottom cabinet and doors to see if that helps and then look into an overhead dust collection arm or Shark Guard.

If you are set on strictly dust collection, the new 1023 is probably is better. My concern for you though, is using a shop vac with the dust deputy. I'm not sure if you will have enough volume of air to pull the dust out of either machine. They have much larger cabinet areas than your Ridgid Saws.

The reason I went with the 690/Shopfox saw instead was the following:

Leeson Motor (still made in China but a well known company and not a knock-off)
Better Fence ( the fence is more robust than the ShopFox classic and has adustments to keep the fence close to the rail when it slides)
More massive - the 690 weighs over 50lbs more than the 1023 which means there's more metal)

Also, for the Pro on the 1023L as having a serpentine belt, I think that is not a big deal - my ridgid saw had a serpentine belt on it and even with a new NAPA belt it still wasn't as smooth and quiet as the triple v belt design on my Shopfox/690 saw.

Either way, either one will make you happy - I just figured I can deal with the poorer dust collection on my saw with aftermarket accessories or small mods than loose the Leeson motor, better fence, etc.

Good luck

Dave Gordon
07-13-2011, 2:54 PM
A dust collection upgrade is in my future, this is a temporary solution since my garage is not yet fully converted to my shop. My gut is leaning towards the 691 for the same reason you mention, but the fence seals the deal. If it's improved on the 690/691, that's what I'm buying. On the 20th :D

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2011, 3:01 PM
As you're in Canada, I'd go with the General 650............I owned one for years, a great saw, and made in Canada.

That said, if I were to buy another cabinet saw, (which I wouldn't), the SS is a great saw with the benefit of having the only flesh sensing capability. The cost difference disappears instantly at the time of an accident.

The difference in dust collection between a saw with and without a blade shroud isn't as great as the difference between one with overhead collection and without.

For adequate dust collection you absolutely have to collect it above and below the blade. On my cabinet saw I added the Excalibur overhead guard, dust collection was very good, and the guard can be used for non through cuts, something a splitter/riving knife mounted guard can't do.

In either case, a vacuum cleaner won't be adequate, for good base collection you'll be in the 500 CFM range with another 100 to 200 CFM for the overhead guard.

A good serpentine belt is superior to a good V belt drive, that said my General 650 was fine with V belts.

Regards, Rod.

Dave Gordon
07-13-2011, 3:26 PM
As you're in Canada, I'd go with the General 650............I owned one for years, a great saw, and made in Canada.

It's also double the price. I'm not strictly buying lowest price here, but I have to be reasonable. For $3k I'd buy the SawStop.

Cary Falk
07-13-2011, 4:47 PM
I have the 1023RL. After about a year of using it I am still very happy with it and would make the same choice again if I had to. I traded in a Unisaw that I tried to get a blade shroud to work on for the 1023 to get a blade shroud and a riving knife. My review is on here. Do a search and let me know if you have any questions. Both are great saws. There are not that many owners of the 1023 on here because it is newer. The only issue I had was the throat plate was warped. Grizzly sent me a ZCI as a replacement. The G0690 is the old Unisaw design. The 1023 is new beteeen the trunion brackets. There are quite a few complaints on the new fence with the faces not being flat, but I hear it slides pretty smooth. The info on the website has a incorrect amperage for the 1023. It only pulls an extra amp than te 690 instead of the 4 or 5 that the site says. On either saw you can get the short rail and shift it to the right one bolt and get about another 10". Thats what I did.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0210.jpg

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2011, 4:56 PM
It's also double the price. I'm not strictly buying lowest price here, but I have to be reasonable. For $3k I'd buy the SawStop.

Gordon, as would I, the SS is the only cabinet saw I'd buy..........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2011, 5:00 PM
Cary, nice overarm guard, how do you like it?

regards, Rod.

Joe Angrisani
07-13-2011, 5:17 PM
Dave... I don't know where you are or if this helps, but there is a never-assembled Grizzly G1023SLX on Denver's Craigslist for $700. And it's been there a few weeks so it's probably more like $600. :)

Dave Gordon
07-13-2011, 7:54 PM
Sorry I'm new here and I haven't fully set up my profile yet.

I'm in Winnipeg, so no where near Denver :)

Closest to me would be Grand Forks/Fargo (3 hours) and then Minneapolis (6 hours).

Cary Falk
07-13-2011, 8:08 PM
Cary, nice overarm guard, how do you like it?

regards, Rod.

Rod, I like it a lot. I found it NIB on CL for a reasonable price. The dust collection is great once I made a new basket for it. It is easy enough to get out of the way when needed. Cary

Jim O'Dell
07-13-2011, 8:30 PM
I've got the G0691 and love it! I don't see a problem with the cabinet style dust collection, but then I'm running a 5 hp cyclone, 6" directly to the cabinet, 4" on the overhead dust collection. I agree with the statement that there is a bigger difference between having the overhead collector than any difference there could be between the shroud and the shroudless. (spell check tells me that is not a word!!:rolleyes: ) The 1023 shroud would help keep dust off the inner workings of the saw, and that would be a plus, but I haven't found not having one to be a problem. If you want to have a larger than 4" duct to the saw, the 690/1 is the way to go, a the duct hook up is on a removable door, so you cut a replaceable piece, not the cabinet. 201739201740201741201742 Yes, I moved the long rails to the right. I get about 65" to the right of the blade. Lots of real estate to park stuff.:rolleyes: I helped a fellow Creeker set up his 1023RLX (I think) and it is a great saw. We didn't get to the point of making cuts on it before I had to leave, but it was an equally well built saw. I'd still go for the 691 if I had to replace today. Jim.

Pete Janke
07-14-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm very happy with my Grizzly 691. I messed around with different ways to improve the over the table dust collection. None worked as well as I liked. I made a zero clearance insert (strangely not pictured here). I bought a SawStop blade guard and retrofitted it to the Grizzly spliter (pretty easy). made a reducer out of of plastic fittings and ran a 4" hose to it from my ceiling. This works nice.

Paul Canaris
07-14-2011, 12:58 PM
May not be what you want to hear. But prior to my most recent TS, a Canadian made General if they can still be obtained was flat out the best TS I ever owned. The arbor run-out was under a thou, which makes a huge difference in the ease with which cuts can be made. Makes a 3 hp feel like a 5 hp etc.

Dave Gordon
07-14-2011, 1:28 PM
May not be what you want to hear. But prior to my most recent TS, a Canadian made General if they can still be obtained was flat out the best TS I ever owned. The arbor run-out was under a thou, which makes a huge difference in the ease with which cuts can be made. Makes a 3 hp feel like a 5 hp etc.

I appreciate that they are good saws, but are they worth twice the cost?

Ken Masco
07-14-2011, 2:54 PM
I got the 691 last Christmas after 18 years of using a contractors saw. I love it! It's the real thing. I couldn't possibly justify spending any more on the Delta or PM

Steve Griffin
07-14-2011, 3:51 PM
I appreciate that they are good saws, but are they worth twice the cost?

I used a General for a couple years in a shop, and have used the 1023 for about 3 years in my shop, so I'll throw in a comment.

The General had a much nicer fit and finish--less vibration, nicer cuts, nicer top.

Was it worth twice as much? Not to me, which is why I purchased the 1023 even though I have a pro shop. Since I edge everything with a shaper, I usually just have a rough rip blade in it anyway.

-Steve

Dave Gordon
07-14-2011, 3:52 PM
I used a General for a couple years in a shop, and have used the 1023 for about 3 years in my shop, so I'll throw in a comment.

The General had a much nicer fit and finish--less vibration, nicer cuts, nicer top.

Was it worth twice as much? Not to me, which is why I purchased the 1023 even though I have a pro shop. Since I edge everything with a shaper, I usually just have a rough rip blade in it anyway.

-Steve

That's sort of where my thinking is right now as well.

It's going to be the 690/1. I just need to decide if I can manage the space for the long rails or not now.

Rod Sheridan
07-14-2011, 5:39 PM

-Steve

Thanks Steve, interesting to know that the cut quality is better as well as the fit and finish...............Regards, Rod