PDA

View Full Version : Bevel up #3 smoother?

Ray Bohn
07-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Has anyone heard any rumors (or actual facts) that LN or LV will be adding more Bevel up planes to their line up?

Thanks,

Ray

Jim Neeley
07-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Ray,

I haven't heard any rumors but LV does make a handle-kit for their low-angle block plane. I picked one up when I picked up their BU jointer, smoother and jack and the bubinga handle and tote feels really good in the hands... and it doubles as a block plane. Honestly, my plan is to pick up another block plane soon and leave this long-term as a small smoother. It fits my big ol' mitts really well and gives me the range of cutting angles you get from a BU plane. I'm not supposed to post a link but here's some of the prose from the Lee Valley web site:

The bevel-up configuration of our low-angle block plane lets you vary the blade angle to suit the task, from low-angle blades for use on end grain to high-angle blades on figured wood. However, steeper cutting angles require more force to push the plane—a challenge for those with small hands or less strength.

We offer inexpensive hardwood grips to adapt our low-angle block plane into a small bevel-up smoothing plane that can work a wide variety of woods, providing the firm hold and greater leverage needed to plane difficult wood. Used with these simple retrofits, the plane works similarly to a #3 smoothing plane for small-scale work, working in tight areas, and for use by children or those with small hands or less strength.

Derek Cohen
07-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Has anyone heard any rumors (or actual facts) that LN or LV will be adding more Bevel up planes to their line up?

Thanks,

Ray

Hi Ray

I am not aware of anything similar from LN, but LV will be releasing a smaller version of the LAS, which approximates a #3 size in width. I've not seen it so cannot comment more .. other than it would not surprise me if this one was driven by Rob Lee since it is the favourite plane size of his. The LV LA Block plane plus accessory tote and knob makes a decent alternative, although I find the toe a little small for registration compared with other #3 sized planes. The new LA smoother is not on the website yet - I have no idea when it is to be released - but Rob has posted pictures of it on the forums.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Gaynes
07-13-2011, 1:04 AM
Yes, a prototype from LV was shown at a UK show in March.

(http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/talking-tools-at-axminster-guildhall-friday-saturday-free-t49588-30.html)

Mike Brady
07-13-2011, 9:39 AM
Have not heard that. There is supposed to be a rabbeting version of their LA jack plane coming soon (soon is a variable term in L-N speak). A #2-3 size block plane could be nice, particularly since L-N hasn't offered a larger block plane or one with a detachable handle.

Zach England
07-13-2011, 10:44 AM
OOH I like that idea. I love the no. 3.

Jim Neeley
07-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Nice, Derek, and thanks!

Regards from Anchorage

Jim

Chris Griggs
07-13-2011, 2:10 PM
I think that small BU smoother will sell really well among those of us working relatively tame to somewhat figured hardwoods (e.g. North Americans). I'd be more likely to buy that then the larger LV BU/LA smoothers since the tearout I need to take care of is often somewhat localized. Also, the narrower blade combined with the weight of a bench plane (vs. tricked out LV block plane) should make it very nice/easy to use at high angles when compared to wider bladed high angle planes.

Always fun to see whats coming down the pipe from LV. I wonder if LV will ever redo their bevel down line. Also, I don't think they'll make one any time soon, but I'm still wishing LV would come out with a bevel down No. 8 with an extra long toe/set back mouth like on their other planes.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-13-2011, 9:20 PM
That looks like a nice piece of gear to have, but I'd still love LN to make their high-angle frogs for their number three.