PDA

View Full Version : A couple weeks work

Scott Lux
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
I never get a lot of time spinning wood. Here's the results of the last couple of weeks.

The pens are Ti-Gold Sierras in Curly Maple, CA finish mm to 12000

The pendant is cherry with coffee filler and CA finish mm all the way up

The stoppers are black walnut and poplar, CA finish etc. I actually made a dozen of the stoppers, but half sold before I could get pics.

Comments, Critiques?

Greg Just
07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Very nice. Did you make the pendant on that Joyner pendant chuck?

Steve Schlumpf
07-12-2011, 11:51 PM
You've been busy! Nice work on everything but the curly maple pens really stand out! Love that wood! Good luck on your sales!

John Keeton
07-13-2011, 6:53 AM
Scott, I really like the "buckeye" stoppers - neat! The curly maple on those pens is really some beautiful wood.

Scott Lux
07-13-2011, 9:57 AM
Very nice. Did you make the pendant on that Joyner pendant chuck?

Yes I did. This time I added the Sorby Micro Spiraling to the mix. I will definitely be doing that again.

Jim Burr
07-13-2011, 2:01 PM
Glad to see your turning time put to good use Scott! Very nice stuff!

Donny Lawson
07-13-2011, 5:53 PM
Scott, they all are great. The curl in the pens is something very nice. Those should sell fast. The stoppers are nice also and I would like to get around to making some of them sometime. Are those Stainless ends? Now for the pendant,it's very nice. Please tell us the process for the design. I've been trying to figure out different designs but so far haven't done nothing like yours.

Scott Hackler
07-13-2011, 6:25 PM
Really nice work. I also really like the buckeye themed stoppers.

Scott Lux
07-13-2011, 6:56 PM
Please tell us the process for the design. I've been trying to figure out different designs but so far haven't done nothing like yours.

I used the Joyner backing plate Greg mentioned (it's now available from Ruth Niles).

First, make it round, Make sure the plate is mounted so 0 matches 0 on the backer. Then move the backer to the number 4 hole in the back. Make a mark on the tool rest where you want your outer "square". I used a little beading tool to make the groove. Rotate the plate on the backer so 6 and 0 line up, make the next groove using the same mark on the tool rest. (You don't need to move the tool rest to rotate the plate) Rotate it to 12 & 0, and make your groove. Finally at 18 & 0 make one more.
I put it back to 0 & 0, but it's not necessary. Then move the backer to the center hole.

The spiral was done with the coarser wheel in the Sorby Micro Spiraling kit.

Donny, does that help?

Toney Robertson
07-13-2011, 7:17 PM
All very nice but that pendant is way cool.

Is the spiral hard to make?

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Really nice pieces Scott. You have been busy. I really like the maple pens.