PDA

View Full Version : Tool chest lid with saws mounted

Peter Pedisich
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Got some shop time in to mount the saws on the underside of the lid. I did not have a real plan, just started cutting before thinking. My advice to others: start with a good plan or idea of how you want to do it.

I see MANY things I would do differently, but completion is my goal at this point... the wife is, let's say, "eager to see it done, or blown up, either one is ok".

The first thread with the build is here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167834-Tool-Chest...-Purists-may-wish-to-pass!

The base raises the chest opening to about 34", easier to reach the bottom, and it's made of plywood stair part scraps just like the chest carcase. Now I'm trying to think of a creative way to mount my auger set from Walt Q.

-Pete

Peter Pedisich
07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
more pics...

Jim Neeley
07-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Nicely done, Peter..

Chris Atzinger
07-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Very nice. I just did the same thing with a temporary blanket chest I converted to move my hand tools in. It definitely helps to have a plan (I didn't!). I ended up having to fit, refit, tweak, un-tweak, and redo the retainers and runners quite a bit.

Yours looks very well thought out!

-Chris

Harlan Barnhart
07-13-2011, 6:17 PM
I did not have a real plan, just started cutting before thinking. My advice to others: start with a good plan or idea of how you want to do it.

Pete, what part of this looks second rate to you? It looks very well thought out from where I sit. Very good job, sir.

Peter Pedisich
07-13-2011, 7:20 PM
Pete, what part of this looks second rate to you? It looks very well thought out from where I sit. Very good job, sir.

Harlan, hello from 40 miles east! ...or less maybe? thanks for the kind words, but the only ones where I like the mounting method is the D8 at the bottom and the Footprint 8" dovetail saw. The others were spur of the moment, my shop time is so limited that I tend to rush things to get them done.