PDA

View Full Version : From the Department of " It seemed like a good idea at the time "

Greg Bednar
07-12-2011, 10:02 PM
.........so I was sitting in front of the computer late one night with an empty head and a blank stare looking at a blank page of Corel X5 open and I thought to my self "Hey, why not engrave ruler ticks on a carpenters pencil?" I mean, after all, the carpenter wants to dimension a small piece of wood, he takes his pencil out and measures the piece and then makes a mark. That's what carpenters do, don't they? They do it all the time on the job, right? What a great idea!! And then what? He marks it. With what?.... With his carpenters pencil.......which he is using to take the measurement........ which he can't move because he would have to remove the pencil from the wood to make a mark and then he would lose the place where he was supposed to make the mark. - - - - Oh, so that's why a carpenter carries a tape measure on his belt and a carpenters pencil!

I was up way past my bedtime.

ray hampton
07-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I seen carpenters use a nail or a knife point to mark the wood then use a pencil to make the mark easier to see

Dee Gallo
07-12-2011, 10:54 PM
hahahaha Greg, I love the evolution of your invention... and de-volution.

Frank Corker
07-13-2011, 5:25 AM
Greg, I've told you about thinking....you know it's not good for you.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2011, 6:09 AM
Neatest idea I've seen lately was a pencil with dots on each of the six sides to replace a 6-sided die... every D&D geek has a need for dice and pencils, and those don't need to be used at the same time :)

Ken Shea
07-13-2011, 7:02 AM
Greg,
I agree, that is a neat idea if only done for oneself.

David Takes
07-13-2011, 9:14 AM
What happens to the ruler convenience when he or she sharpens (shortens) the pencil on the zero side of the ruler?

Dee Gallo
07-13-2011, 9:51 AM
Aw Dave, you had to go there!

Scott Challoner
07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Can you make that in a 25 footer?

Mike Null
07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Dave

That's easy. Just sharpen the other side.;)

Chuck Stone
07-13-2011, 1:32 PM
What happens to the ruler convenience when he or she sharpens (shortens) the pencil on the zero side of the ruler?

LOL ... Hey! Your table ROCKS! Greg gave you a pencil, didn't he?

Michael Kowalczyk
07-13-2011, 3:53 PM

I think that's called "planned obsolescence" or if you work for the Gov; job security.

Andrea Weissenseel
07-14-2011, 2:49 AM
What a great idea!! And then what? He marks it. With what?

that's what I thought when I read your first sentence ;) Just make it a ruler, attachable to a pencil

Ken Shea
07-14-2011, 6:59 AM

Do the same thing the doctor might say if you tell them it hurts when I do such and such and he says "Then don't do that" :D

Kenneth Hertzog
07-14-2011, 7:29 AM
Here goes
since putting the pencil against the stop might not be a true inch for the first inch
start the markings with 0 and hold it in a bit to allow for sharpening and still have the ruler
just my 2 cents ( and its not worth that ) :-)
ken

John Minton
07-14-2011, 7:44 PM
Did you hear about the constipated math wiz? He worked it out with a pencil

Bill Cunningham
07-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Ahhh Great Ideas late at night never seem to come to fruition as planned ..
Sorta like "Hey hold my beer and watch this"...