PDA

View Full Version : 2nd HF.... Much better than the first

Chris Burgess
07-12-2011, 8:21 PM
Here is my second HF. The globe is Elm and the stem Poplar. Finished w/ 2 Coats Dewaxed Shellac and so far 2 coats of WOP but I did this before asking how in my other post and will need to do some sanding tomorrow to fix runs. I am super please and really feel I am getting a grasp of this hollowing nonscence.

Dems:
Globe
3.5"T x 4"w x 3/16" thick
Stem
5.5"T w/ a 2" foot and just under 3/16" thin

I made a 45 degree hollower w/ 5/8 rod and a 1/4" carbide tipped scraper. Took some getting used to but I have a better feel. I really need a round scraper as the Carbide one is a point and cuts groves that were impossible to get out w/out coming through.

C&C Always welcome

John Keeton
07-12-2011, 8:27 PM
Nice work, Chris!! On those runs, wet sand with MS and 600 grit if you can. 400 will work quicker, but may sand through on you. I would be tempted to lay on a couple more coats of WOP before sanding in order to have a thicker foundation. With only 2 coats, you will most surely sand through in spots.

Another idea for you - you can go over the WOP with the dewaxed shellac with no problem, and then reapply the WOP. Sometimes, that is a good way of handling any "sand through".

charlie knighton
07-12-2011, 8:43 PM
very nice, sounds like you are having fun

Chris Burgess
07-12-2011, 8:43 PM
Nice work, Chris!! On those runs, wet sand with MS and 600 grit if you can. 400 will work quicker, but may sand through on you. I would be tempted to lay on a couple more coats of WOP before sanding in order to have a thicker foundation. With only 2 coats, you will most surely sand through in spots.

Another idea for you - you can go over the WOP with the dewaxed shellac with no problem, and then reapply the WOP. Sometimes, that is a good way of handling any "sand through".

Good info. Thanks John!

Steve Schlumpf
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Chris - looks like you are having some fun hollowing! This one is pretty nice! The hollowing game gets easier the more you do - so just keep turning! Looking forward to seeing HF #3!

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Really nice and looks like you are having fun.

David DeCristoforo
07-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm gonna be the one to say this and I'm only saying it because you asked for "C&C". The "globe" itself, to my eye looks upside down. It would look better if the narrow end were on the bottom. Also, the support point at the top of the pedestal is way too small for this form. But this is definite progress from the last one you posted. You know I love things on sticks! (OK, no wisecracks!)

Michelle Rich
07-13-2011, 6:41 AM
2nd? Can't wait for #23...will be interesting to watch your progression...

Chris Burgess
07-13-2011, 7:54 AM
Thanks David. I was trying to go for a Wine glass look on it with the wider bottom. As for the stem it was a little larger on top but a catch fixed that and I had already brought a good bit down so that was as good as it got w/out starting over. I am also finding that the stem may be a bit to thin, it measured 5/32 and is a little flimsy.

Chris Burgess
07-13-2011, 9:52 AM
John, the MS w/ 600 was perfect. I think I was lapping it on way to thick so sand through was not an issue. I gave the inside another spray of Shellac and will start some light coats of Poly tonight. The Gloss is way to gloss so I will be knocking that down w/ a grey scotchbright pad to get more of a Semi. Thanks again