PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a reference sheet

Rebecca Phelps
07-12-2011, 7:14 PM
for a 30 watt laser engraver that has material type and recommended settings.

thanks so much

Larry Bratton
07-12-2011, 7:27 PM
for a 30 watt laser engraver that has material type and recommended settings.

thanks so much

No such thing that fits all machines. Most settings are machine specific. Most of the info listed is mostly a starting point anyway. What brand of machine do you have?

Dee Gallo
07-12-2011, 8:23 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Rebecca! You will find a ton of settings for all kinds of materials on this forum... but you'll have to do some reading of posts. It's a good exercise and a very valuable use of your time. As you read, you'll understand why there are no ABSOLUTE settings for any particular material. There are just too many variables. But you WILL find out places to start so you can understand your own machine and make your own notebook of settings, make your own samples and tests and eventually be able to predict what will happen most of the time.

Yes, I know it's not the quick and easy answer you looked for, but there isn't one. We've all asked the same question and all got the same answer, so welcome to the club!

Adding your machine brand/wattage to your signature will help us to give you as specific info as we can.

cheers, dee

Martin Boekers
07-13-2011, 9:13 AM
One thing I'll add to Dee's suggestion, when something goes wrong (Oh it will!) Save a piece of the engraved part
or photograph it with info on what you did to correct it. Somethings are really simple (you would think) such as
checking why the laser beam isn't reaching the product. I have had this with new hires and even briefing them
initially I found they still miss it. The air assist tube accidently moving and blocking the beam.

There are so many things such as this that only time and experience will give you.

Enjoy your laser!

Dee Gallo
07-13-2011, 9:53 AM
Somethings are really simple (you would think) such as
checking why the laser beam isn't reaching the product.

Marty, I can't tell you how many times I've smacked myself in the head for forgetting to focus when I first started out.

Rebecca Phelps
07-13-2011, 6:21 PM
thank you! I appreciate the responses

Larry Bratton
07-13-2011, 7:00 PM
Rebecca:
The Rayjet website says "Material Settings: The software comes with a library of pre-set parameters for a variety of materials. This is a great guideline for quick set up. There is no need to test new materials with the large library of materials at your fingertips, saving time and money when engraving new products and items" Did you get this software with your machine?
By the way, welcome to our forum.