PDA

View Full Version : Oliver pattern maker's vise

robert king
02-15-2005, 8:43 PM
I have a chance to buy an Oliver patternmaker's vise for a reasonable price. Is it equivalent to an Emmert or Yost vise in value. It is in such great shape that I can't imagine it being very old. Are there clones with the Oliver name or does Oliver still make them? What is it's value? What web sites can I look at for info?
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'll post a pic if I buy it. It is a serious vise and needs a serious bench to hold it.

Andrew Haynes
02-15-2005, 9:24 PM
I have one of these vises also, try this site http://www.mprime.com/emmert/index.htmAlot of good info, buy the vise you'll love it.

Andy

Alan Turner
02-16-2005, 5:20 AM
Robert,

If you don't want it, I will take it. I have a bunch of Emmerts, but have heard that the Oliver is great. I think it is larger and heavier than the No. 1 Emmert. Want to trade? PM me if you have interest.

Alan

Charles Perkins
06-28-2008, 8:24 PM
The Oliver vise is a heavier vise than the Emmert. I had both an Emmert and an Oliver. I sold the Oliver for $1300. If all the parts are there and there is no brazing on the vise it could well be worth over a $1000. Charles Perkins

harry strasil
06-29-2008, 9:56 AM
my old patternmakers vise is a Columbian, a gift from an old neighbor.

Ray Jonnes
07-02-2008, 1:35 AM
Hi Robert: You've gotten lots of good information already. The Oliver vises were heavier duty versions of the Emmerts. Today they can fetch well over $1,000. A near new one sold on ebay for $1900 about 2 years ago. Oliver sold the vise rights and patterns to Kindt-Collins, who sold them to William Kerfoot in PA (maybe 5 years ago).

There are three versions of the Oliver vise. The two earliest versions have a twin screw meachanism to adjust the front jaw pivot. The last version has a cam system similar to the Emmert but with machined faces.

The oliver vises have a lot of positives going for them, they are heavier and stronger, use a double lead screw, so it doesn't take forever to open the jaws and typically fit a little better than the Emmerts (which makes there movements and adjustments easier).

Good luck with your vise.