PDA

View Full Version : Siding on a shed

Mike Cruz
07-12-2011, 6:11 PM
While chatting with a fellow Creeker today, I was telling him about the siding I am putting on an 8X11 shed that I just built. He told me to take and post pics, so here they are. The wood is ash, from two standing dead trees that were in the woods right behind the shed. ;) I simply cut them into 9 and 12 foot lengths and took them to my sawyer. I am covering the entire shed for about $200. Of course, I'll need to buy stain... The corners are going to be 4X4 posts that are bolted on from the inside (there will be a 1"X1" rabbet cut into each one).

Scott T Smith
07-12-2011, 7:45 PM
Looking good Mike! I really like the look of the live edge siding, and have used it on many of my farm buildings.

Mike Cruz
07-12-2011, 9:31 PM
Scott, care to share pics of your buildings?

Tony De Masi
07-13-2011, 6:20 AM
Looking good there Mike. REally like the wavy edge.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Were those steps always there, or is that second story a new addition?

Bob Riefer
07-13-2011, 1:44 PM
I really like that look. I'll be building a mini-barn (or mega-shed depending on your outlook) in the near future and was planning on having the local mill make some board/battens for me. But perhaps I'll consider the live edge look, it looks really neat!

Mike Cruz
07-13-2011, 4:35 PM
Dan, steps and second story to the "play house" were always there.

Bob, thanks. BTW, the boards are merely screwed near the top (about 1" down) to the studs. I'll caulk under the lap joints when it is all done to help keep critters like stink bugs from nesting under there. But I think it will be a futile battle.

Jim Becker
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Sharp look!

Mike Cruz
07-14-2011, 3:07 PM
Ahhhhh, is THAT how someone gets to 36,248 posts? Short replies? :D Thanks, Jim. I appreciate it. I know that I like how it is turning out, but hearing that others like it, too is reassuring. My wife kept repeating that she couldn't believe how nicely it looked and how I could "see" that beforehand...

Scott T Smith
07-14-2011, 3:58 PM

Mike, sure. I'll gather up some pix and post them in the next day or so.

David G Baker
07-14-2011, 6:14 PM
Many buildings in my area of Michigan have the same look. Some are stained with different color stains and some are still around from the thirties with a severely weathered look but they all have a great look in my opinion.

Scott T Smith
07-14-2011, 9:50 PM

Mike, ask and ye shall receive

This is a run-in shed that I built in one of our pastures. Each stall is about 16' square, and the ridge of the roof extends past the gables, similar to a prow on a ship:

This is the end wall of a second run-in shed that I built. This was actually my first farm building: I built in the the timberframe style with three bents. A storm dropped a tree through it a few years ago, so when I rebuilt it I doubled it's depth and added some additional stalls along the back side. The original roof was a sloped shed roof, which I replaced with a standard gable roof when I rebuilt and expanded it.

The next three photo's are of a barn/workshop that is comprised of an old log cabin and an old barn (that I moved about 100' to it's present location), with some bay's added between the two. I built this about 9 years ago, and even built my own trusses for one section of it:

And these photo's are of an old Sears kit house (1939 vintage) here on the farm that I remodeled and expanded. All of the siding came from logs harvested from the farm, and none of the siding is spliced - every board is a single piece. The trim board on the front of the porch is 40' long, the last photo is of two of my farm hands holding it after we planed it (it started out as a 44' long board).

All of my vertical siding is board and batten; most buildings have rough sawn and the Sears kit house has planed siding. All of the horizontal siding is live edge; all siding is southern yellow pine.

Danny Hamsley
07-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Scott,

Those buildings are awesome. That is how it should be done!

Mike Cruz
07-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Wow! Thanks, Scott. Makes my puny shed look a bit...insignificant. :D

Scott T Smith
07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Scott,

Those buildings are awesome. That is how it should be done!

Wow! Thanks, Scott. Makes my puny shed look a bit...insignificant. :D

Thanks Guys!

Mike, it's all relative, and I really like the way that your siding is looking. If you haven't yet picked out a stain, consider either sikkens products or TWP products. I used TWP on the Sears kit house and have been very pleased with it.

Mike Cruz
07-15-2011, 7:31 AM
No, Scott, I hadn't picked one out yet. I'm thinking a grey. But hadn't thought of a brand yet. I'll keep those in mind. Thanks.