PDA

View Full Version : Wake boards and Water resistant finishes??

Steve Owens
07-12-2011, 4:39 PM
I have recently been asked to make an exotic hardwood wake board for a clients, presumably as an art piece. I thought it would be fun so agreed. Over the weekend he added "and I want him to be able to use it" to the project. I am looking for ideas for finishing this piece so that it can endure salt water, UV and contact with sand. I would like to avoid "glassing" it if I can.

The wood is highly figured and I am seeking a clear finish.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Schoene
07-12-2011, 9:29 PM
How much UV does this have to withstand? An afternoon a week, or weeks at a time. That's probably the limiting factor. If there is a lot of UV--like if this will be stored in an outdoor rack on a boat deck, then you are looking for a marine spar varnish from a boating supply store. You could increase the scratch resistance by using a 2-k polyurethane varnish, such as Interlux PERFECTION. For real durability you would glass it with 4 oz. (pretty light) fiberglas using a clear epoxy such as West Marine with the 107 hardener. It would take several coats sanded well, to completely bury the fabric texture. Then it would be top coated with spar varnish or the 2-K polyurethane to provide UV resistance. (Note 2-k poly can have significant UV but you can't substitute single part polyurethane varnish--it typically has MUCH less.)

Steve Owens
07-13-2011, 1:12 PM
Normal beach use. Its not like a boat but more like a surfboard exposure. Though I suppose its best to build it to withstand daily exposure.