PDA

View Full Version : Need This Printer

Gary Hodgin
07-12-2011, 3:27 PM
Now this is a printer worth having. I really need this thing. Wonder what it costs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

Ernie Miller
07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
That is amazing. If this technology ever becomes affordable, how would patents ever be enforced?
Live long and prosper.

Bryan Morgan
07-13-2011, 12:19 AM
A reprap is a good start for the home user. A couple of branches of the company I work for has some of these big 3D printers. I've never seen one in person though...

Tony Joyce
07-13-2011, 12:29 AM
"We have one at work which cost about $40,000 and we recently got a new one with a higher resolution."

This is an email reply from a friend that works for a large medical company.

Gary Hodgin
07-13-2011, 12:39 AM
That is amazing. If this technology ever becomes affordable, how would patents ever be enforced?
Live long and prosper.

I had the same thought about patents. A friend sent me the link. I'd never seen a 3d printer but apparently they've been around for a few years. When I think about the potential of this type of technology it actually is a little scary to me. Heck, I'd like to duplicate a Maloof rocker right now.

Dave Anderson NH
07-13-2011, 9:38 AM
Various forms of rapid prototyping machines have been around about 15 years. SLA, also known as stereo lithography, uses a photopolymer and lays down layers about .004" thick until it builds up to whatever you want to model. Something like a plastic telephone carcass would take about 4-6 hours. A similar technology uses layers of paper with glue on it. This type is able to be sanded and smoothed out and then painted. The new machine in the video appears to be a fairly major enhancement on machines that have been around a while.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
The one in the video is a ZPrinter 150 from ZCorp... $15k for those. They (other companies) have some desktop units (about the size of a large color laser printer) for <$5k.

Gary Hodgin
07-13-2011, 12:49 PM
The technology is amazing. I wonder about the composition of the material used to duplicate. Would the tools and so forth duplicated by the copier hold up to everyday use? Lets say AutoZone has a copier. Someone comes in wants a spark plug socket. Autozone makes one. How would that hold up to the normal socket you find at AZ?

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
One of the guys I work picked up a used 3D printer about a month ago.

Last week he came into my office with a model of the T.A.R.D.I.S. he made with it.

I was at an old tools seminar a year or two ago and Robin Lee displayed some of the plastic plane prototypes they make with a 3D printer..............Regards, Rod.

Gary Hodgin
07-13-2011, 1:37 PM
The one in the video is a ZPrinter 150 from ZCorp... $15k for those. They (other companies) have some desktop units (about the size of a large color laser printer) for <$5k.

$15k is a bit outside my budget, but I'm surprised they're that low. But if 3d printers follow the normal price path of new technology, they'll probably be affordable for the little guy within 10 years. I'd missed this whole market for 3d computers. I'd heard of them but had no idea what they could do. Thought it would be like a 3d picture and had no idea you could actually make something other than an image.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2011, 3:02 PM
Gary,

They're already in the "affordable" range when you compare it to what they cost even a short 5 years ago. The sub-$5k machines are about what I would expect them to cost for any decent domestic machine, but the working area is relatively small.

If you want durable parts that can be used directly in an application (like metal), they do have laser sintering machines, but you won't find one of those for $5k. I haven't priced, but I imagine those start in the $40-50k range (for the small ones) and go up.

Gary Hodgin
07-13-2011, 3:16 PM
I don't think it outdoes electricity, but that stuff is amazing. Ideas and technology don't exhibit diminishing returns. They simply spawn more ideas and innovations. Although things like this are a bit scary to me, I definitely see how this type of thing has great potential for future economic growth and improved living standards. Makes me wonder what else people are working on.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2011, 3:17 PM
A former coworker and fellow retiree sent me that link in an email today. That is incredible for use in an developmental situation!

Ernie Miller
07-14-2011, 3:22 PM
I wonder if the cost of the powder and other consumables would make the duplicated wrench more expensive than the original - disregarding the cost of the printer, of course.

Ernie

Gary Click
07-17-2011, 9:06 PM
I paid $52K and change for our ZCorp 450 about 3 ears ago.

Myk Rian
07-17-2011, 9:25 PM
Those printers would be great for machine restoration. A broken casting could be modeled and printed. The resulting printing could be sent to Cattail foundry and recast.
You do, or hire out, any final machining, and you have a restored machine.

Kevin Gregoire
07-28-2011, 3:40 PM
i have read that not to far into the future 3D printers will be a common household peripheral just like the dvd burner is now.

Bryan Morgan
07-28-2011, 11:06 PM
i have read that not to far into the future 3D printers will be a common household peripheral just like the dvd burner is now.

I think you are right. Devices like the reprap are cheap and you can "recycle" your plastics and whatnot by putting grinding them and putting them back in the machine and creating something new. You can download new plans and stuff from the internet. Imagine buying something and just "printing" it out in your garage.