PDA

View Full Version : diamond wheel lubrication

joel nucifore
07-12-2011, 2:35 PM
not trying to be out of line with the rules was just on wood central forum, and Cindy Drozda just posted about lubrication of the diamond wheels or CBN. I know alot of creekers just picked some up you might want to look in to it.

she puts a small brush on the back of the wheel with some chainsaw oil.

again delete if you have to thought it was good info

Roger Chandler
07-12-2011, 2:49 PM
CBN is not diamond from my understanding......it is cubic boron nitride composite on a steel wheel. I would want to have Dave at D-way chime in on the benefit or detriment to using oil on that substrate. On Cindy's video, she used it on a wood river diamond wheel.......diamond honing can use water, but DMT the maker of a lot of diamond sharpeners says do not use oil on their diamond stones.

I am just wondering ............not trying to be argumentative.

Paul Williams
07-12-2011, 3:04 PM
I use water on my diamond wheel. Just keep a spray bottle handy. The folks using CBN wheels are reporting fast metal removal with very little heat. Since the main purpose of the water is to reduce heat, I would think it unnecessary to lubricate a DBN wheel.

Charles Goodnight
07-12-2011, 3:11 PM
I have never used diamond wheels, but I have used diamond core drills for drilling rock. For these I used diamond tool coolant concentrate to make the cooling solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Diamond-Coolant-Concentrate-coolant/dp/B000KWRRLS/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

It basically makes a soapy water, but it is actually better than water when the wheel is in danger of getting hot.