PDA

View Full Version : What luck!?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2011, 9:49 AM
I have 2 major projects that we want done to our home now as we are just entering retirement.

1. Reroof the house.
2. Install new water lines to the house.

Once these are done, they should last my lifetime and all major repairs are finished for the house.

Yesterday the contractor began stripping the roof. He got 1/2 the house roof stripped. Our average annual moisture is 13". He left witout covering 1/2 the roof he stripped the shingles off.

Yup! We had rain last night and it wasn't forecasted.

I will insist he cover any exposed roof before leaving each day from now on.

What luck!

We never get rain in July...until last night.

Greg Peterson
07-12-2011, 9:53 AM
The contractors name isn't Murphy, is it?

Rod Sheridan
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Ken, hopefully there wasn't any water damage to your house.

It is typical though, just when things are going great..................Regards, Rod.

Jim Creech
07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
If everything is going well you have obviously overlooked something. Hope no serious damage.

Michael Weber
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Like others, hope no damage was done. Like the old Hee-Haw song says "If it wern't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

Jeff Monson
07-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Ken, hopefully you did not recieve to much rain? IMO any contractor is pushing his luck by leaving a bare roof overnight. I have a business friend, that had a roofing company leave his entire house bare for an evening. We got 1.5" of rain that night, what a complete disaster! He fought with the roofing companies insurance as well as his own insurance for over 2 years. Could have been very easily avoided.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Jeff, I doubt we got enough rain to do any real damage. It just got my goat that the guy left the roof uncovered. 30 minutes of putting down tar paper would have prevented the problem.

Myk Rian
07-12-2011, 1:31 PM
Once these are done, they should last my lifetime and all major repairs are finished for the house.
Do you really believe that? :)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2011, 1:51 PM
I"m sorry Myk....I posted that in one of my optimistic moods. They don't last as long as they used to last.

Art Mulder
07-12-2011, 2:06 PM
2. Install new water lines to the house.

That's not something that I hear about being replaced much, what went wrong with the one that is there?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2011, 2:12 PM
Art.......my house is 45 years old and the incoming water lines were plumbed with galvanized pipe. My house was the 2nd of 7 built in the neighborhood. Everybody else has had their water lines rust out and had to struggle with the emergency replacment. I am not waiting for mine to go completely. My galvanized irrigation lines have already rusted out. A few years ago, I turned on the waste/drain valve for the irrigation outside faucets. The next morning I had 1" of water in the basement that had seeped in between the concrete walls and floors. The irrigation water is untreated and doesn't enter the residence. So I shut off the irrigation water.

I am having the domestic water lines replaced with copper. It should last my lifetime.

Those two things are costly and since I just retired and currently have the money, I want to take care of them now.

Michael Weber
07-12-2011, 4:10 PM
Ken, have you considered PEX instead of copper?

ray hampton
07-12-2011, 4:35 PM
Art.......my house is 45 years old and the incoming water lines were plumbed with galvanized pipe. My house was the 2nd of 7 built in the neighborhood. Everybody else has had their water lines rust out and had to struggle with the emergency replacment. I am not waiting for mine to go completely. My galvanized irrigation lines have already rusted out. A few years ago, I turned on the waste/drain valve for the irrigation outside faucets. The next morning I had 1" of water in the basement that had seeped in between the concrete walls and floors. The irrigation water is untreated and doesn't enter the residence. So I shut off the irrigation water.

I am having the domestic water lines replaced with copper. It should last my lifetime.

Those two things are costly and since I just retired and currently have the money, I want to take care of them now.

good luck, you may need it

Jim Laumann
07-13-2011, 9:46 AM
Ken

Some years ago, I had a house which had galv. pipe from the street. We were selling, and had to replace it as a condition of the sale. The new line was copper, and the water pressure increase was dramatic - we enjoyed that for the month we lived there after the replacement.

You can't go wrong w/ copper, but you might want to consider PEX, as Michael Weber suggested - the cost savings could be considerable.

Jim