PDA

View Full Version : Straw Hat, Green Visor, Size Small

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2011, 8:19 AM
Does anyone have an idea where I might get a men's straw hat in a size small. It must have the green visor. I call them tobacco farmer hats because when I was growing up all of the tobacco farmers wore them. I've checked all of the usual online suspects (Ag Supply, Cabelas, etc.) and the smallest size they have is medium. I've been charged with finding my daddy a new hat because his current one is starting to break down. Any suggestions greatly appreciate!

Dan Hintz
07-12-2011, 8:52 AM
Not sure I can help find one, Belinda, but I'll sure try... a pic of one would help, though.

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2011, 8:58 AM
There you go again Dan, stating the obvious.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

Joe Angrisani
07-12-2011, 9:31 AM
Perhaps a call to a human at Ag Supply or Cabella's to see if they can order one for you? Or put you in touch with a supplier or someone who can help?

And I don't sew, and I don't know if you sew, or if it's even something that can be sewn, but....

If you don't have any luck finding anything but a medium hat, perhaps you can sew another layer (terry, perhaps), to the inside headband. I'd think once-around with a layer of terry would make it jump to a small. Just thinking out loud. You might even be able to put the extra layer between the straw and the existing band. Again, I'm talking about the inside headband that fits yer noggin, not the decorative outer one.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2011, 9:35 AM
Belinda,

Try this: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=220288696&listingid=133697814

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2011, 9:40 AM
Belinda,

Try this: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=220288696&listingid=133697814

Thanks Ken! I tried for this same manufacturer on a couple of other sites yesterday and small wasn't available. Ordering in just a few minutes.

Joe, thanks for the idea of adding an additional inner band.

Gary Hodgin
07-12-2011, 1:40 PM
Belinda,
I have the same hat but in the extra large size. Got it from Cabela's but they apparently don't carry the small size. The price at the link Ken provided is a good one, about $4-$5 less than what I paid at Cabela's. I paid 19.99 plus taxes and shipping. I've only had the hat for a couple of months but it's held up well and is comfortable.

I saw similar hats at either Tractor Supply or Co-op, but they didn't carry one large enough for my big head. Don't know if they carried the small size. I can sometimes get by with a 7 5/8 but a 7 3/4 or 7 7/8 fits better.

David Weaver
07-12-2011, 1:58 PM
I can sometimes get by with a 7 5/8 but a 7 3/4 or 7 7/8 fits better.

We must be related. My wife always makes fun of me because I go to the back of hat racks first instead of the front, and usually find out they stop at 7 1/2 or a 7 5/8, and 7 5/8 will start to bother me if I wear it too long.

Gary Hodgin
07-12-2011, 2:04 PM
We must be related. My wife always makes fun of me because I go to the back of hat racks first instead of the front, and usually find out they stop at 7 1/2 or a 7 5/8, and 7 5/8 will start to bother me if I wear it too long.

Same here. Thank goodness for the internet. Now, I can usually find a hat big enough. Those one size fits all things are a lie.

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2011, 2:20 PM
Thanks Gary. Yeah, that one size fits all thing is a bunch of hooey. I got the small head trait from my dad. It is very hard for me to find a hat to fit as well. I think daddy got his last hat at the local feed and seed store, but it has never fit properly. Yesterday he had three skin cancers removed from the top of his head. He is currently undergoing plastic surgery to do a flap repair where another skin cancer was removed from his face yesterday. He saw his local doc who went in twice to remove a skin cancer and still didn't get it all, so yesterday he saw his doctor here in Savannah who went in for the third time. He got all of the cancer but left a wound down to the bone at the side of the nose, almost the size of a 50 cent piece, and almost 1/2" deep into the cheek. Daddy decided that he needed to find a hat that fits, and wear it . . . finally!

Gentlemen, wear your hats!

Gary Hodgin
07-12-2011, 2:40 PM
Belinda,
My dad was a truck driver most of his life and much of the time was before A/C. He hung his left forearm out the window a lot and developed skin cancers all over it later in life. He ended up wearing long sleeves in summer. There are places that sell hats specifically designed (with upf ratings) for greater sun protection. I don't have one, although I have a problem with the sun due to a medication I'm taking. I know there's several places on the internet that sell such stuff, but here's a link. I don't know how this would compare to the normal straw hat in terms of protection.
http://www.coolibar.com/sunhats.html

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2011, 2:59 PM
Thanks for the link Gary. Right now daddy is locked in to the straw hat, but that may change. He was resistant to sun screen up until a few weeks ago.

Joe Angrisani
07-13-2011, 9:32 AM
....Right now daddy is locked in to the straw hat....

May I suggest, instead, a straw hat without the "let the Sun through" green plastic window?

Belinda Barfield
07-13-2011, 9:37 AM
May I suggest, instead, a straw hat without the "let the Sun through" green plastic window?

You may, Joe, but the plastic window is a must as well. Daddy says when he is on the tractor in the field it helps him see the ends of the rows better.:confused:

Jim Rimmer
07-13-2011, 1:28 PM
Same here. Thank goodness for the internet. Now, I can usually find a hat big enough. Those one size fits all things are a lie.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has trouble finding hats large enough. BTW, Duluth Trading dot com has XL and XXL hat sizes.

My Great Grandmother used to tell me"Big head, lotta wit. Little head, not a bit." My apologies to those with normal sized heads. :D

Dave Lehnert
07-13-2011, 3:01 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that has trouble finding hats large enough. BTW, Duluth Trading dot com has XL and XXL hat sizes.

My Great Grandmother used to tell me"Big head, lotta wit. Little head, not a bit." My apologies to those with normal sized heads. :D

I have to get a hat that fits, not the one I want.
For anyone who lives in the Mid-west. Meijers has Adidas ball caps in XXL size. Also I have good luck with the one-size fits all ball hats from K-mart.