PDA

View Full Version : Box for router plane

Staffan Hamala
07-12-2011, 6:50 AM
I made a box for my router plane and accessories. In building it, I've tried several new things. I tried doing the pins first, after seeing Frank Klausz do it that way. I also tried the method of skinny pins for hiding the grooves for the bottom and lid. This was described in an article by Roy Underhill.

The dovetails was an interesting experience. I might do more of the pins first method, as I found it easier to transfer the layout for the tails, as it's easier to get them perfectly lined up (because the edges of the board are untouched).

The "skinny pins" were quite easy to make as well. I think this is faster (when you're used to them) than making stopped grooves. Now I just used the plow plane on all long edges.

The box was made using glued pine that I had available. I haven't oiled it yet, and haven't decided whether to oil it or leave it as it is.

I'm happy with the box. It's good to keep all those parts of the plane together. I might do a similar box for my plow plane as well, which also has some parts that might get lost.

201576 201573 201575 201574

Andrew Gibson
07-12-2011, 9:22 AM
Looks good. Another way to hide the groove for the bottom is to cut a miter at the bottom. I saw Roy do this in one of the episodes of the wood rights shop. It's pretty easy and the skill lends itself to other type of furniture work as well I think...

I would definitely put some form of finish on the box. if you are like me your hands would have the wood dirty in a day.

Sean Hughto
07-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Sweet! I love little projects like this where you get to try out new techniques and produce a useful and attractive organizer too!

john brenton
07-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Thank God for good old inexpensive pine. If it wasn't for pine I would have never learned anything.

john brenton
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
What wood is your benchtop made out of? It looks nice.

Mark Wyatt
07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I like your box. what did you use to create the finger detent on the lid?

Jim Koepke
07-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Organizers are always nice, yours looks great. I am a little confused on how the slot for the bottom is hid.

Maybe next time you can show the build in progress.

Thank God for good old inexpensive pine. If it wasn't for pine I would have never learned anything.

And I would likely have never made anything.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-12-2011, 1:12 PM
If he's discussing the method I believe he is, and it appears to be, you make the grooves full length with the plow plane, and cut half your joinery, then in the tail that the groove goes through, you rabbet it to the depth of the groove. Look at the first picture, the end grain showing in the bottom isn't as thick as the two above it.

Jim Koepke
07-12-2011, 2:20 PM
If he's discussing the method I believe he is, and it appears to be, you make the grooves full length with the plow plane, and cut half your joinery, then in the tail that the groove goes through, you rabbet it to the depth of the groove. Look at the first picture, the end grain showing in the bottom isn't as thick as the two above it.

Dang, now that I see what you are talking about it makes sense.

How simple yet elegant.

Thanks for the explanation.

jtk

Tony Shea
07-12-2011, 4:49 PM
Very nice way to get good practise in. I am one for not teaching people to cut joinery such as dovetails in wasted peices of wood. To see someone cut up a perfectly good board in 3" to 4" lengths to practise dovetails is a bit of a pet peave. I learned dovetails by making things, mostly storage boxes for the shop and house. No big deal if they weren't perfect but usually would come out much better than a 3" practise peice as it was actually going to be used, therefore more time was taken to get it right.

I also would like to know how the finger detent was made.

Staffan Hamala
07-12-2011, 5:31 PM
What wood is your benchtop made out of? It looks nice.

It's made of red oak. I oiled it when I built the bench, which made it a bit darker.

Staffan Hamala
07-12-2011, 5:34 PM
I like your box. what did you use to create the finger detent on the lid?

I made the finger detent with a couple of my carving gouges. I then sanded it to make it smooth.

Staffan Hamala
07-12-2011, 5:41 PM

That's exactly what I did. :-)
I saw it described in an article by Roy Underhill, "A Joiner’s Tool Chest" in Popular Woodworking no 176.

Rob Young
07-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Fantastic job. I made a similar little box for my Stanley 71-1/2 but with a fitted lid instead of sliding. The little block glued on the inside does wonders for keeping track of the blades and such.

Made a larger version for my #45 & Record 044C along with blade boxes. Small hinged blade box for the Record and larger lift top for the Stanley blades.

Great fun.