PDA

View Full Version : turning a 12" bowl 1st time

paul wiser
07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
need some input on whether it is safe to cut a dovetail about 5 1/4 wide to remount this size bowl, or am i better using a woodworm screw. i have a #3 profiled dovetail jaws for my oneway chuck. any suggestions?? thanks :confused::confused::confused:

Baxter Smith
07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Not quite sure of the question.... but.... you use the woodworm screw to hold your blank to turn the outside and form a tenon or a recess so that you can then hold the bowl with your chuck to turn the inside. The #3 jaws on my stronghold would fit best on a tenon of about 3 3/4 or a recess of 4 1/2. Fully expanded they probably would still grip a 5 1/4 recess adequately as long as your bowl isn't too deep. Lots of variables there.

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Paul - this would be a good time to post a few photos so we can understand what it is you want to do.

Michelle Rich
07-12-2011, 6:26 AM
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I'm going to remind folks of this: The "grip" of any jaw set is more tenacious when the jaws are open the least..the wider you open them, the less they grip...so a 5+ is quite open...can you make a tenon, or dovetail opening less wide?

Reed Gray
07-12-2011, 12:07 PM
A 5 inch tenon or recess is plenty for a 12 inch bowl. I wouldn't go less than 3 inches. The thing is how big are your chuck jaws. If the inside measure is 2 inches when closed, then a 2 1/2 inch tenon is about as big as you want, so you get lots of metal in contact with the wood. That size is a bit minimal for a 12 inch bowl. I do use a 2 5/8 inch recess for turning bowls that size.

robo hippy

Chris Burgess
07-12-2011, 1:19 PM
If it were me I would face plate for turning the outside then if you are wanting to use your 3" jaws I would turn a tenon about 3.5". Watch out for the corners if they are sticking out because those are knuckle busters. Take a file and knock the corners off of the large jaws and that will save you from a bandaid.....dont ask me how I know. Like it was alredy said if you leave them open wide they are not as strong. No matter what please post some pics when you are done. I want to turn larger bowl but need an outboard steady as my lathe only goes to 10". Good luck. Ohh yea don't screw chuck that. That is too much bacon for one egg.

Chris

Reed Gray
07-12-2011, 2:18 PM
Chris,
Too much bacon for one egg is like too many chocolate chip cookies. Impossible!

robo hippy

paul wiser
07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
basicly what i am trying to do is to turn a cheese and cracker tray. 6 1/2 platform in the center with a turned groove about 2 1/2 " around the outside. i hope that this helps you to visualize the project. thanks

paul wiser
07-12-2011, 10:03 PM
a #3 jaw ona oneway chuck opens to about 4 5/16 inches. do you think that is enough to hold it if i turn a dovetail??