PDA

View Full Version : how to keep bowl blanks from checking?

Lynn Kasdorf
04-18-2003, 2:28 PM
I have several logs that I have sawed in half to be turned into bowls one day. I don't have time to rough turn them into a bowl shape. Some walnut, locust, red oak, and cherry.

What is the best /simplest thing to do to keep them from cheking and cracking? Paint the end grain with whatever old latex house paint I have? Wax? Liquid soap? Oil? I probably won't get these onto a lathe until the fall.

Thanks, turnoids

Lynn Kasdorf

Eric Apple - Central IN
04-18-2003, 2:46 PM
I can tell you that latex paint doesn't work on blanks in the town I live in, in Indiana. I've got a big ol' pile of split blanks I cut about a month ago with the ends covered thick in latex paint the day I cut 'em. The 2" thick stuff seems OK, and the perfectly qtr sawn slabs seem to be doing ok as well. About 70% has checked or split badly.

Jay Kilpatrick
04-18-2003, 2:55 PM
wax emulsion green wood sealer, 2 in first 45 minutes to an hour, then 1 or 2 the next day. Works so far.
~Jay

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
04-18-2003, 6:02 PM
Lynn,

I too have used the Woodcraft green wood sealer on Cherry, Poplar, Elm and Maple blanks. A liberal coating until it "almost drips" off and I've not had any end checking in the three months since they were cut. I haven't used any Anchorseal yet, only because I still have some of the Woodcraft product left. I want to try Anchorseal next, though. From what I've read, the paint will do in a pinch, but doesn't offer the best sealing properties. I favor the LDD (liquid soap) method after I've rough turned the bowls. Drop it in for a couple of days, let it air dry a couple more and it turns great. I haven't had any of the three dozen bowls I've turned in the past few weeks split. A couple have warped a little, but no splitting. Good luck and have fun turning. I'm looking forward to trying some more hollow forms this weekend.

Malcolm Timbers
04-18-2003, 9:57 PM
Put them in a pond or an old rain barrel and weight them down under. They won't check nor get infested with bugs or mould. Then rough turn them green and boil the turning to prevent checking.

David Propst
04-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi Lynn,

Normal latex paint allows water vapor transmission, thus it is not very good as a sealer.

Achorseal wax emulsion or a similar product is your best bet. Another thing that works well is to carefully heat up some parafin and brush it on. Wax sealer is much easier though.

Keep the sealed blanks out of the sun and rain and they will probably keep through the summer.

David