PDA

View Full Version : A burl finishing question

Steve Owens
07-11-2011, 8:41 PM
Just joined and glad to be here. I have recently come into possession of some Maple Burl rounds. They are beautiful as is so I want to finish them with the rough edges (no bark) on. Can anyone suggest the best method/approach/products for this task?

Thanks,

Steve

Scott Holmes
07-11-2011, 9:23 PM
What or how do you plan to use them? Table? Wall Art? Stool?

Steve Owens
07-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Wall art. I really just want to preserve them as is. Its the raw/rough edges I am not sure about.

Scott Holmes
07-11-2011, 11:01 PM
A light spray coat of blonde de-waxed shellac will work well. Dries fast, is optically clear, and will never yellow.

Steve Owens
07-13-2011, 3:17 PM
Scott - Was wondering if I should/could use a clear filler (CrystaLac?) on this first? If so is there one you would recommend?

Thanks,

Steve

Scott Holmes
07-13-2011, 5:45 PM
I would not. The wooden disc will move and change shape a bit while on the wall due to RH in the room. If it's too dry when you fill it; when it swells the filler may make things worse. If it's too wet when you fill it; ...

A for a filler if you want to go that route (I'm assuming you are talking about the flat portion...) Crystalac www.crystalac.com (http://www.crystalac.com) is good.

A light spray coat of de-wxad shellac and you should be good to go. You are not trying to get a thick film finish, just a very light spray coat.