PDA

View Full Version : Historical Ft. Sill, Oklahoma oak

Michael James
07-11-2011, 7:55 PM
Thanks again to John Pratt for sending a couple little pieces of the historical "witness tree", the book and assorted other Ft. Sill goodies!
I have worked with the Native Americans in the area for decades and are proud of their ownership of the community needs and striving for solutions. This piece went to a friend and colleauge who works with a lot of tribal agencies and represents her people with honor and integrity. Sharing this seemed like the thing to do.

Bur oak on a 3/4 slice of red oak.

Thanks for looking,
Michael

Roger Chandler
07-11-2011, 7:57 PM
I really like that plaque MJ. Nice job on a pretty presentation!

Steve Mawson
07-11-2011, 8:04 PM
Great tribute.

Nate Davey
07-11-2011, 8:06 PM
Love the simple form Michael. Nicely done. Amazing how "simple" forms aren't "simple".

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2011, 8:20 PM
Michael - you are to be commended on your efforts to keep a part of history alive! Great looking tribute!

Dane Fuller
07-11-2011, 8:38 PM
Very nice looking plaque and form. Ft. Sill is just a stone's throw from me.

David E Keller
07-11-2011, 8:49 PM
That's cool, MJ! As a side gloat, MJ was kind enough to send me a pen made from the wood of this historic tree... I love it!

Jeff Nicol
07-11-2011, 9:01 PM
MJ, I got to spend a few months there back in 1980 while in the Army, the weather was always changing. The day I arrived the wind was howling and it was snowing and about 25 degrees, 2 days later it was sunny and 70! February in OK what a treat for an 18 year old from WI! I don't remember if I saw the tree, but most likely I did, but 31 years ago who knows what I was doing!

I really like the little pot and how you made a presentation piece out of it, I am sure she was very appreciative of your thoughts and creation.

Great job,

Jeff

John Keeton
07-11-2011, 9:06 PM
MJ, there is a lot more to composing a pleasing presentation plaque than one might think. Not only have you done a beautiful job on the pot/bowl, but you achieved very good overall dimensions of the plaque as a whole. Nice work, and the finish on the bowl looks very "touchable".

Michael James
07-11-2011, 9:33 PM
I really like the little pot and how you made a presentation piece out of it, I am sure she was very appreciative of your thoughts and creation.
Yes, she was. I don't think she's ever seen woodturnings before. She thought all the stuff in my office (some mine, some of others) was pottery.

Thank you everybody for your kind words; I appreciate them very much. My father is buried there and that is how John P. and I met.
Michael

Curt Fuller
07-11-2011, 10:00 PM
As a 13A10 cannon cocker I have a few memories of Ft Sill myself. But this is the first I've heard of this tree. I've been googling and reading about it for about an hour now. Thanks for the enlightenment and for making such a nice tribute.

Bruce Lundgren
07-11-2011, 10:24 PM
MJ, well done and quite a tribute! I spent 14 months at Ft Sill in 1970/71 and played many rounds of golf there. I can remember some large trees (since I hit most of them) but no one ever mentioned the Witness Tree.

charlie knighton
07-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Michael, nice form both on hf and thought.

Scott Hackler
07-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Very nice. Good of you to get this to someone who will appreciate it.

Baxter Smith
07-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Really nice! In both form and thought!

Russell Johnson
07-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Nice work. A great way to honor a friend and preserve a piece of history

Jim Burr
07-12-2011, 8:34 AM
Pat on the back bud! Well done.

John Pratt
07-12-2011, 9:18 AM
Great project MJ. Next I may have to have you show me how to get into bowls. You've already created a monster with pen turning. Because of your help and instruction I have completed approximately 1000 pens. Most of which were from the tree.

MJ, well done and quite a tribute! I spent 14 months at Ft Sill in 1970/71 and played many rounds of golf there. I can remember some large trees (since I hit most of them) but no one ever mentioned the Witness Tree.

If you have played golf on Fort Sill, you've probably seen the tree. It was located just off the 17th fairway. Some of it is still located there.