PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus?

Bonnie Campbell
07-11-2011, 7:51 PM
Any one have one? Any opinions on the 2012 model with parking assist?

Just starting to car shop (online). My knee has been out for a week now and there is no way I can even get in to my Jeep Cherokee. So I'm in the market for a low compact car....

ray hampton
07-12-2011, 4:42 PM
Any one have one? Any opinions on the 2012 model with parking assist?

Just starting to car shop (online). My knee has been out for a week now and there is no way I can even get in to my Jeep Cherokee. So I'm in the market for a low compact car....

I drive a Jeep Liberty and my wife's car Ford which is close to the pavement[ easy to get in to but harder to get out of while getting into my Jeep means that I will have to pull myself up to the seat BUT I CAN GET OUT OF THE JEEP QUICKLY

Peter Pedisich
07-12-2011, 5:35 PM
Bonnie, sorry no experience with the 2012, but the best car I've owned was a 2007 Ford Focus Wagon. I had it for 1 year, and I wish I still had it. My wife and I have had 6 VW's, a Saturn, a Toyota, and a 12 year old worn out Volvo. The Focus was my favorite of them all, no doubt. The VW's are hit and miss, the Saturn was terrific but too small, and the Toyota did not live up to it's reputation, surprisingly. The Volvo has been the most overrated car I've ever owned. I wish I could get a new Focus - Made in Wayne, Michigan!
Good Luck,

Pete

Matt Meiser
07-12-2011, 9:29 PM
We have a 2007 sedan that just turned over 100K. Other than regular maintenance the only trouble we've had is a couple bent wheels due to obnoxiously horrible roads around here--and that has nothing to do with the brand of car. There was a tow truck that got a flat going to rescue the police car that got a flat on one road near us.

The new Focus is probably our next car in a year or so. Its a really good looking car and they've done a ton of work on creature comfort. We may consider going for the C-Max version which is a cross between a focus and a small minivan, similar to the Mazda 5.

Von Bickley
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
My wife had a 2000 Focus until last year when we traded it on a 2010 Focus. Never had any problems with the 2000 and haven't had any problems with the 2010.

Recently went on a road trip from SC, thru NC, VA, PA, NY, MA, ME, NH, VT and back home. Went 3280 miles and averaged about 33 MPG.

My wife's favorite feature on her Focus is the Electric Seat Warmers......

Mike Null
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
I bought my wife a new VW Jetta a few months ago and every time I get in it I wish I had bought a Focus or a Honda. (my son, who will never have another word on cars, convinced her she had to have a German car--all well and good except this German car was born in Mexico)

Bonnie Campbell
07-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it! I've never bought a brand new car on my own so trying to get the last (only) new car I'll have my lifetime. I've also had suggestions of the Chevy Cruze and the Hyundai Elantra. Something I'll definitely be taking into consideration is ease of entry and exit of any vehicle. Anybody else bought through Costco's Auto Buying Program?

curtis rosche
07-13-2011, 12:20 AM
i have a 2001 focus with the ztec engine in it. runs great. the previous owner had it convertered to be drivin by a paraplegic. it was converted back before we got it. it had 30k on it. it has survived through me and my brother learning to drive. it now had 100k on it and we have only had to do minor repairs, like a couple shocks because we have a few bad roads and tried to take it off road a few times. it gets between 23-31 mpg depending how i drive it. i have friends who love their newer focues. i would say go for it. great car.

curtis rosche
07-13-2011, 12:21 AM
i have also used the focus are a great wood hauler. a ten foot board fits in if the back seat is down. and i have filled it many times with logs and huge chunks for turning

David Weaver
07-13-2011, 8:29 AM
I bought my wife a new VW Jetta a few months ago

As a former VW owner who thought he was out of VWs, only to meet (and marry) a woman who had just bought a brand new Jetta turbo - I'm sorry to hear that.

:)

Not kidding. VWs cost more to buy, more to maintain, are more hassle and less reliable. Aside from the diesel, the mileage is worse than comparable-sized cars, too, probably because the VWs are overweight for their size.

Fortunately for us, we only drive one car regularly because I take PT to work. That allows the jetta to sit aside and get about 2k miles a year, significantly extending its life.

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2011, 1:43 AM
Physically checked out the Focus. Doesn't look like it'll be the car for me. Unfortunate because I do like the styling and features. Without having test driven it... the drivers seat is uncomfortable and there is no room in the back (grandsons car-seat). Lots of trunk room, which you could put you rear passengers into I guess so they could have more room lol

Peter Pedisich
07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Bonnie,

The Fusion has more rear leg room, for sure. Did you take a look at that? The price is close to the Focus, and then there is the new Explorer...very nice!
The new Jetta does have a roomier back seat, although I will never recommend a Mexican made VW, ever. Yes, I have personal experience with Mexican, German, and US (Pennsylvania) made VW's, the German made ones have in every case been the best and no salesman will convince me otherwise. And it's not Mexico thats the problem, since the Ford Fusion is made there and has great build quality and reliability.
The Chevy Cruze may have better seats and legroom - it certainly looks on the larger end of small cars.

Pete

Jim Becker
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Current Ford models are getting good kudos out there, including the Escape. Next step up is a very nice car, too.

I would think that it would be easier for you to get into a higher vehicle than with a lower one with a bum leg. That's been the case with my daughter who had knee surgery two weeks ago...much easier getting into my Highlander Hybrid than our Prius.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I have a bad back and bad knees. One of the reasons we bought a used Honda Pilot was because it rides higher and is easier to access for me.

Consider something that sits higher for easier entrance, exit and sitting comfort.

Greg Portland
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I've also had suggestions of the Chevy Cruze and the Hyundai Elantra. I have a few friends with Hyundai and all of them have been extremely pleased. Here's some reasons to NOT buy a Chevy Cruze: http://www.chevroletcruze.net/showthread.php/70-Why-you-should-NOT-buy-a-Chevrolet-Cruze. These kinds of problems are IMO inexcusable.

Anybody else bought through Costco's Auto Buying Program?Yes, I've also bought online from a dealer in TX & had the car shipped to OR for ~$1k. This still ended up being $2k less than the best local price! I would only buy new or certified pre-owned with these methods; the local dealer is then obligated to handle any problems. The Costco program basically sends out an e-mail to local dealers and they send you their best price (no haggling). For people who don't like to haggle (or who aren't good at it) this is a great way to buy a car. However, you -can- get a slightly better price by going in and dealing face to face (all day marathon kind of haggling).

I've also used Costco for vehicle rentals and those can be -incredible- deals.

Wayne Hendrix
07-14-2011, 3:21 PM
Never owned one but at work we use a lot of rental cars on month long contracts. Last time we had a bunch of cars, three of the four Ford Focuses had mechanical issues and needed to be returned to the rental company. None of the other 30+ vehicles of varying makes and models had issues.

Orion Henderson
07-14-2011, 3:53 PM
Most folks find that vans are the absolute easiest vehicle for egress. A minivan of some sort might be worth looking into. There is only 1 truly minivan available in the US and that is the Mazda5. Which coincidentally, but not really, shares a "platform" with the last generation Focus. Ford will have a variant on the theme in a year or two, but at this moment the 5 is the only choice. I test drove one once and really enjoyed (but I didn't buy it FWIW). Great for carrying wood too.

Bob Turkovich
07-14-2011, 5:51 PM
Most folks find that vans are the absolute easiest vehicle for egress. A minivan of some sort might be worth looking into. There is only 1 truly minivan available in the US and that is the Mazda5. Which coincidentally, but not really, shares a "platform" with the last generation Focus. Ford will have a variant on the theme in a year or two, but at this moment the 5 is the only choice. I test drove one once and really enjoyed (but I didn't buy it FWIW). Great for carrying wood too.

Orion,

Then what are the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Dodge Grand Caravan, Chrysler T & C and a few others? If you're talking mini-minivans, then you may be right.

You can get a full 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in some of those I listed but I'm not sure you can in a Mazda5. With the Mazda5 being launched early as a 2012, it was - at one time - the only 2012 vehicle listed by EPA as a minivan (Kia has since added to the list) but as the others get certified for 2012, they'll be in the same minivan classification (which they were for 2011). (Getting a bit off-topic here.....):o

Matt Meiser
07-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a few friends with Hyundai and all of them have been extremely pleased. Here's some reasons to NOT buy a Chevy Cruze: http://www.chevroletcruze.net/showthread.php/70-Why-you-should-NOT-buy-a-Chevrolet-Cruze. These kinds of problems are IMO inexcusable.

They are also irrelavent to this discussion since they relate to the Romanian version. They'd only been in full production in the US (Lordstown, OH) for a month when that post was made.

Mac McQuinn
07-16-2011, 2:59 PM
I test drove a new 2012 Focus Hatchback two weeks ago and feel its a pretty solid vehicle overall. That said I'm slightly hesitant to recommend it due to the auto-manual transmission. It seemed out of sorts at time w/ out of place shifts and occasional clunking although when in Sport Mode, I found it worked very well as long as you pick the shift points. I had driven the Chevrolet Cruze a few weeks prior and felt the seats in the Focus were actually slightly better as far as comfort goes. Fit and finish on the Focus was very good with clean door gaps and above average paint. There was quite a bit of tire/suspension noise although I was on some aggressive blacktop during part of my testing. In this respect the Cruze was quieter. I felt the Focus was a nice handling car with a slightly firm but compliant ride, felt very European in flavor. As far as dealing w/ physical limitations....The Focus felt lower than the Cruze although neither would be my pick w/ entering or exiting the vehicle although I have a 34" inseam. Look for something not too low and with little or no step-over. Having to raise and lower your legs can be a real hassle if you have limitations. Something I learned on my job before retirement is to place your rear end on the seat 1st and then swing your legs in together. I use to get in and out of different cars 105 times in a 8 hour shift and learned real quick what worked best for your comfort and to minimize stress on problem joints. Take a day and look at everything including vehicles you might think would not work for you. Get in and out of them, test seating controls, positions, etc. You might be surprised which vehicles feel the best to you.
Good luck in your search.

Mac