PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Cups

charlie knighton
07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
about 3 x 3

Jefferson Cups

Southside Woodturners are turning Jefferson Cups for the Harvest Foundation which fund area attrations.

cherry burl, cherry, mesquite

cherry burl blank from Baxter Smith: many thanks

mesquite blank from Jerry Marcantel: many thanks

:)

Tim Thiebaut
07-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi Charlie, what is the significance of the Jefferson cups? This is the first I have heard of them before, thanks for any info you could give me, Tim

george wilson
07-11-2011, 1:26 PM
Are wooden Jefferson cups a different shape from the pewter or silver ones? The metal ones curve inwards to a flattened bottom,sort of like an enlarged .45 colt bullet sitting on its nose. Just the bullet part,no cartridge.

charlie knighton
07-11-2011, 1:28 PM
Tim and George,

Jefferson Cups are a Virginia thing. they were mostly done in silver and pewter after the revolution in Thomas Jefferson's presidently years and manufactured today. there are several styles, one straight up and down like shown , and a more rounded version. if you ever visit Monticello, one of the things you could buy are Jefferson Cups. the wooden Jefferson Cups are however you want to turn and call them.

VP of club Scott, held one up, it looked like plate, not pewter and not fully silver, ask to follow his example in our turnings

Baxter Smith
07-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Had to google "Jefferson Cup" Charlie. Never would have imagined a little scrubby piece of burl from the coast of Maine would have ended up in Virginia being made into something associated with Jefferson. Thanks for giving it some "status"!:)

Steve Schlumpf
07-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a fun little project for your club to be involved with! How many cups is the club planning on turning?

John Keeton
07-12-2011, 7:06 AM
This is new for me - I have been to Monticello and just do not recall seeing these. But, then, I was not yet spinning things at the time. Kinda cute!

charlie knighton
07-12-2011, 7:34 AM
Baxter, that Maine cherry burl is one of the prettiest pieces i have ever turned. thanks again.

Steve, i beleive the club wants 30 to 35 pieces.

John, Williamsburg is another good place to find Jefferson Cups, mom and dad did light fixtures in foyer and dinning room in pewter, they also of course had pewter Jefferson Cups. George Washington is the father of our country and a Virginian, but Thomas Jefferson is probably our favorite son. imho

Roger Chandler
07-12-2011, 8:34 AM
Charlie,

Where does the Southside Woodturners meet? i am not familiar with that club.........does it encompass Henry, Patrick, Franklin and Pittsylvania counties?

charlie knighton
07-12-2011, 9:11 AM
Roger,

Southside Woodturners meet the 1st tuesday of the month, 6:30 pm, at either Southern Virginia Artisan Center or Studio 107 in downtown Martinsville, Va. occanionally we will meet at Pace Custom Sawing in Ridgeway, Va. anyone in or passing thru the area is welcome to come, to join we have $25 yearly dues, not hooked up with AAW as yet.

Jim Burr
07-12-2011, 2:09 PM
Very nice Charlie...you guys should make plenty off those!

george wilson
07-12-2011, 2:13 PM
Being employed in Williamsburg for 39 years ,and owning some Jefferson cups in pewter,that shape I mentioned was the only shape I'd ever seen called a Jefferson cup.

charlie knighton
07-12-2011, 2:32 PM
George, when its 99 degrees here, i know its not a good time to visit Williamsburg. when would be good weather wise to come???spring or fall???weekday or weekend, i would like to see the crafts that are relived. any suggestions

Pete Jordan
07-12-2011, 2:34 PM
For your reading pleasure:

http://explorer.monticello.org/?s1=0|s4=4_

george wilson
07-12-2011, 2:35 PM
The only decent weather we have here is in the early Spring or late Fall. Weekdays more craftsmen will be in the shops. Google weather for 28697 and check.

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice looking cups Charlie. I saw some of those at Williamsburg.

charlie knighton
07-13-2011, 5:48 PM
George, Jim, Pete, and Bernie.....thanks for looking and for your comments