PDA

View Full Version : Keeping CA from drying out?

Ruth Niles
07-11-2011, 8:25 AM
Hi All,

I don't use a lot of CA and I remember a number of years ago being told the best way to keep it from drying up was to "throw the lid away". That did work, until the last two bottles; both got the top film which I pierced but the glue is too thick or gooey.

So, I should keep the bottle closed tight?

Why did leaving it open work on previous bottles?

Need to know the answer to the first question, just curious about the second.

Thanks,
Ruth

David Warkentin
07-11-2011, 8:28 AM
I had never heard that personally. I always put the lid back on mine and they seem to last.

Lee Koepke
07-11-2011, 8:31 AM
It is also said that you can store them in the frig to extend the shelf life. I tend to buy smaller bottles and try to use them up faster, but I always put the top back on mine. Habit and the fear of knocking it over and having the bottle permanently glued to my workbench, mostly. ....

Alan Trout
07-11-2011, 8:34 AM
Fridge or freezer is the best way to extend life. Humidity will act as a catalyst so keeping it closed is important.

Alan

Tim Rinehart
07-11-2011, 8:54 AM
I recently had an email response from Vince at Woodnwonders and he said to essentially pitch the lid. I was curious and got to researching a little on the web and found that the CA needs a LACK of oxygen to cure, so having the lid off in my mind was a good way to provide more oxygen than lid on....thus retarding the cure process.

Lid on is factor if your environment is very humid (humidity and other contaminants accel the cure also) or if you are prone to knocking it over...the 'doh!' factor.

Until being opened for first time, store in cool place, typically under 70F...most use a frig.

Lastly...don't allow anything to get sucked back in, like dust, chips or dirt...this can also speed the premature skinning/cure of the product.

I learned a lot I didn't know just in last few weeks. Hope that helps.

BTW...Ruth, love those stoppers. Sold one this past week to friend of family.

Jim Burr
07-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Tim brings up an important point. This is why accelerator works so well. It coats the piece in what is essentially DNA preventing oxygen from reaching the adhesive thus causing catalyization...kind of the opposite of most organic that oxidize with air and/or light. It could be a formulation change from your manufacture of choice.

Ruth Niles
07-11-2011, 3:20 PM
I recently had an email response from Vince at Woodnwonders and he said to essentially pitch the lid. I was curious and got to researching a little on the web and found that the CA needs a LACK of oxygen to cure, so having the lid off in my mind was a good way to provide more oxygen than lid on....thus retarding the cure process.

I learned a lot I didn't know just in last few weeks. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Tim. I think Vince is where I heard that, too. I'll have to have a talk with him! : )

I only buy the smallest bottles and, like I said, for a number of years it stayed like new with no lid. I have to buy more so I will keep the lid on and keep it in the fridge. Actually I use it more to glue my birdfeeders after the raccoons demolish them than for my woodturning!

Thanks everyone.

Ruth

Ruth Niles
07-11-2011, 3:22 PM

Oops....... forgot to mention that I am delighted you like my stoppers. One sale only leads to dozens more! Congratulations.