PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hollow form in progress...

Russell Eaton
07-11-2011, 8:13 AM
I just got my Hollow Fast system and HAD to turn something. The first was a simple vase from Cherry. I didn't have any real problems with it. This one was a little more tricky. The hole in the side was too big to turn past, so I just kept going. This was a fun project and will post finished pictures later. I did manage to turn the foot off and sand the bottom. I have been seeing the south west forms that Steve S. has been doing and like that style of form. Thanks for the inspiration. Sorry for the crappy picture, it was from my cell phone camera. Russell

Chris Burgess
07-11-2011, 8:19 AM
ooooooooo..... This is going to be nice. I cant wait to see it finished.

Bill Bolen
07-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Russell you are looking real good on this one! The voids, bark inclusions ect. just seem to add a lot to a HF. Plus with that big hole in the side cleaning out the shavings/measuring wall thickness is a snap! Looking forward to the finished piece...Bill...

Jim Burr
07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
That's going to be cool Russell!! Have you picked out a finish yet?

Russell Eaton
07-11-2011, 1:24 PM
Jim, I am thinking of a lacquer finish. I just hope it works out.

Ed Morgano
07-11-2011, 1:29 PM
Russell,
How do you have that bowl chucked? What is the blue inside? Did you turn the inside first and then the outside?

Russell Eaton
07-11-2011, 2:08 PM
Ed it is on a Tallon chuck. The blue it the flash color from the camera. It is not dyed just a gray color mixed with the flash makes it looks different.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2011, 2:39 PM
That is going to be a nice one. Can't wait to see it finished.

David E Keller
07-11-2011, 5:22 PM
That's cool! Can't wait to see it finished!

Jon Prouty
07-11-2011, 6:08 PM
Nice!

How do you like the hollow fast system? Which bits did you get and do they have a laser yet?

Thanks
Jon

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2011, 11:52 PM
So far so good! Looking forward to seeing it once completed! Have fun with it and take your time!

Baxter Smith
07-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Looking good!

Russell Eaton
07-12-2011, 7:59 AM
Jon, I have spent less than 1 hour hollowing with the tool. I have noticed some flex in the tool when you are hollowing at a steep angle. I do like the laser that they use and it is easy to set up. I can't compare it to anything other than the Sorby hollowing tool as that is the only other one I have used. Thanks for the comments. I got the finish on last night and am wondering about a finial. Have not made up my mind yet.