PDA

View Full Version : working with veneer

Zahid Naqvi
02-15-2005, 5:14 PM
I am working on a hall table/cabinet these days. I have been thinking about using some figured (or burl) veneer for the top. I am finding it hard to find a local veneer dealer with reasonable prices. eBay on the other hand has several people selling veneer for what seems like reasonable prices. The question is how hard is it to apply veneer to a plywood top. I have never worked with veneer before and do not own a vacuum press. This would be veneer which is dried and flatened but not backed. Since links are not allowed items # 6511702005 is what I am looking at.

thanks for any help

Dennis Peacock
02-15-2005, 5:47 PM
Z,

I have bought a LOT of veneer from ebay and have some at home if you want to look some over. I have the name and number of a guy in Bauxite that sells nice veneer at a very reasonable price. I'll have my vacuum press done in about 2 weeks or so. What size top are you needing to veneer?

Keith Christopher
02-15-2005, 9:45 PM
I have nothing but glowing remarks to say about B&B rare woods in Colorado (they have an AWESOME wwwsite.) google 'em. You will not be disappointed.

Keith

Dave Avery
02-15-2005, 9:55 PM
Zahid,

Ebay is where I buy my veneer..... haven't bought from that seller, though. 2 reliable sellers that I've bought a lot of veneer from are 'thouge' and 'lepkowski'. As far as learning, check out vacupress.com (forum and videos) and joewoodworker.com. Also, a search here will turn up a great deal of information. Good luck. Dave.

lou sansone
02-15-2005, 9:57 PM
a agree the B and B are great, as is "certainly wood" web site. There is a lot of veneer info on those sites as well

enjoy

Zahid Naqvi
02-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Z,

I have bought a LOT of veneer from ebay and have some at home if you want to look some over. I have the name and number of a guy in Bauxite that sells nice veneer at a very reasonable price. I'll have my vacuum press done in about 2 weeks or so. What size top are you needing to veneer?

Dennis, Looks like I'll see you tomorrow, as I will be working from Conway. I can show you the design of the top etc. Roughly speaking it is 12" X 40", but is not rectangular.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Dennis, Looks like I'll see you tomorrow, as I will be working from Conway. I can show you the design of the top etc. Roughly speaking it is 12" X 40", but is not rectangular.

Okay Zahid, you have to explain that one. 12X40, but not rectangular??

Zahid Naqvi
02-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Okay Zahid, you have to explain that one. 12X40, but not rectangular??

The side tables I am trying to design these after were posted earlier in this thread
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15066

Now look at the last picture which shows the table from the top, now cut it right through the middle horizontally. That's what the hall cabinet top will look like, it is 12" deep at the middle and 40" wide at the back.

Bill Arnold
02-16-2005, 5:50 AM
Zahid,

Ironing would work for your project. Put a moderate coat of yellow glue on the plywood and the back of the veneer -- let it dry until it is just clear. Apply a second coat to both surfaces and let it get tacky but not dry. Position the veneer on the plywood carefully and press it with a regular clothing iron (no steam) on a medium setting. To help keep the veneer from burning, use a piece of white paper between the iron and veneer. It also helps to burnish the veneer with a rounded piece of hardwood as you iron.

Regards,