PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
07-11-2011, 8:10 AM
11 July 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, I have a small woodworking project that my family doctor brought over but my problem is that the temps are too hot for me to work in my shop. Both my a/c units are out and need replacement and that takes money. Any extra money I have goes to travel back and forth to Alabama to visit my dad and do things around their house for them that they can't seem to get done or can't do any more.

Last week my youngest son, age 14, got his learners permit and his motorcycle permit. This morning, I'm taking my other son, 16, to take his motorcycle written test to get his permit. They will train with me for a period of 6 months before they take a motorcycle safety course and then they will be allowed to get their motorcycle license.

The day job has been keeping me really busy and I'd like to have more time to spend at home and in the shop. I guess we will see as time progresses.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jerome Hanby
07-11-2011, 8:48 AM
Built drawers, figured out how to mount drawer slides, figured out how to fix what I figured out in previous step, realized that while my last figuring was correct, the placement wasn't. Replaced the casters on my table saw mobile stand. Got a great deal on two 18" Mitutoyo rules that had Starrett Combo-square, protractor, and centering heads. Bought another can of Johnson's paste wax in a white magic attempt to make my previous can reappear, no luck on that yet. Found a source for 1/4" hardboard. Discovered that hardboard not lying perfectly flat in a Ford Explorer at close to 100 degrees/% humidity will bow. Discovered that it will un-bow in the same environment if you turn it over and let it stew for a few hours. Completely fell in love with my Narex 1/4" mortise chisel. Used a free movie ticket to see that new Tom Hank's movie. Bought more Greek yogurt. Considered killing myself with my Narex 1/4" mortising chisel if I have to eat any more Greek yogurt. Fired up the Boise-Crane jointer my wife snagged me from the local thrift store and found out that, the blades were still very sharp, enough crud had built up on the table that Hercules would have problems sliding lumber across it, and that gremlins had obviously stolen and presumably eaten my can of Johnson's paste wax. Also served as climbing post and general sleeping platform for a little kitten my wife brought home just prior to leaving on her trip west. I suspect the kitten was a ploy (an effective one) to keep me out of trouble while she was gone. Went through a slight panic when the drive will all the video media appeared to be failing. Turns out it was the controller for the external SATA/USB "enclosure, switching to USB the drive checks out. Moved build Linux media server with mirrored drives higher on my to-do list.

Will Winder
07-11-2011, 9:17 AM
Put up a lumber rack and picked up a decent rolltop desk off of freecycle on saturday. Painted a fence and made some nice Starrett scores at a flea market sunday.

I've been keeping an eye out for a starrett protractor head for months now to compliment my last starrett score. Lucky me, one of the usual tool guys had two this week, I grabbed one that looked practically fresh out of the box for $12 (the other was so coated in rust that I had to scrape off some to tell it was a starrett too... I've got it bad, almost bought that one too). I was feeling pretty good about that find and then came across a lady with a 6" and 12" combination squares. She asked $10 for the small one so I offered $20 for the pair. According to my reference square, they are still perfectly square as well.

Mike Wilkins
07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Sleep late Sat. morning. Run some Red Oak through the planer to start another project, the library table that was offered as a free plan on the Fine Woodworking site. Cut a 3" thick 12" wide piece of solid oak down to approx. 2 1/2" square for table legs. Love the power of the Laguna LT18. Also love the DisposaBlade knife system I installed on my J/P machine. Super easy to install and set up and really sharp knives. Watch my garden dry up due to lack of rain and lots of hot days. Oh well; theres always the local farmers market on Sat. mornings.

David Hostetler
07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Finished cleaning the shop up friday night (I go slow). Did the grocery shopping with LOML Friday night as well. Scored 65 bd/ft of walnut off of Craigslist for $150.00. Still a chunk of change, but a good quantity of some nice lumber, and far below what the local hardwood dealers are selling for. I can't complain. I ended up rearranging my lumber racks to accomodate this new find.

Sunday was spent in services, then meeting up with my nephew for his high school graduation lunch (we missed his graduation due to illness). We gave him his gift, a PS/3 and he was ecstatic. We have been enjoying Black Ops, and finally got to play last night with him online. Very cool stuff...

I started on a magazine drilling jig that I found the plan for in a Wood Magazine online extra PDF. It lets you line up your magazines and drill them to fit into a 3 ring binder. Sort of like a hole punch on steroids. I am modding the plan though. I want to use steel inserts instead of just holes through the wood in order to make it last longer. I never get rid of magazines (I have copies of Hot Rod magazine from the 1970s!) so this will help with my storage problems...

And finally, we had 3 days straight where it rained, not long, but it rained enough to give the lawn a good watering, and gave it time to grow like crazy. I mowed last Tuesday evening, and again last night. The lawn had grown so tall, and so thick it nearly stalled the mower no less than 4 times.

Jim Becker
07-11-2011, 4:47 PM
In addition to the usual riding lesson, lawn mowing, driveway grooming post torrential rain, etc., I also more or less finished my latest tack trunk commission through, well...the finishing. I still need to install hardware and do the ever-popular photo shoot to get it in the Woodworking Projects Forum. Oh, and we celebrated Professor Dr. SWMBO's birthday, which was officially on Friday.

Matt Meiser
07-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I continued to plug away at my finishing room--got the trim done, inlet and exhaust filters, cabinetry moved in and some other details. Just the drying rack, HVLP turbine enclosure, and some other little details to go.