PDA

View Full Version : Chinese elm Closed form

Michael James
07-11-2011, 12:14 AM
OK, back to the Canon - I really tried to make the newer little camera work for this but as you may have noticed, it didn't. Wood from a friend's dad's firewood pile... curiosty form. The wood was very cracked so I did my best to just epoxy with black and it made it. It moved some in a DNA bath and took forever to finish.

4 1/2 high, ~ 4 1/4 at the widest. BLO, shellac, more BLO. amber shellac to try to get some color into it, a few coats of DO. Sanded back down some, BLO, shellac, sanded and a couple light coats of acrylic spray, then and sanded and hit with EEE on the wheel. The end. If I had it from fresh green I'm sure I would have had more fun with this, but it made it to the finish line - mission accomplished!

As I look at it, it almost seems as if I should have made a pair of them.....dunno why!

mj

ps - nobody calls it Siberian elm here, and I don't know if its the same tree. Water hoggin nuisance here, but does provide good shade.

Jim Burr
07-11-2011, 1:18 AM
Well done young man! That form is one of my favorites. I've always heard it as Siberian Elm, but what do I know!

charlie knighton
07-11-2011, 1:32 AM
very nice....

Nate Davey
07-11-2011, 6:16 AM
Nice form MJ, like the color of the wood and graining.

John Keeton
07-11-2011, 7:31 AM
MJ, I like the form on this one! And, the wood, although apparently an absolute pain for you to finish, really does well with this form. Well done - the finishing efforts were worth it!! Doing two at the same time might not have taken much more time, but I don't know that I could handle two finishing nightmares at one time.

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2011, 7:34 AM
You sure brought that wood to life! Grain looks great! The form reminds me of a brandy snifter - so I can see why you would want to have a pair of them! Nice work!

Chris Burgess
07-11-2011, 8:05 AM
Good looking piece. Down here is Houston we call it Chinese Elm. Never heardof Siberian Elm. From what I understand Chinese Elm is the only on not susceptibleto Dutch Elm disease.

Roger Chandler
07-11-2011, 8:37 AM
I agree with Steve, the form reminds me of a brandy snifter...........would look good with a pedestal/stem underneath it in perhaps a lighter colored wood. Nice form, MJ.

bob svoboda
07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Nice form and the wood looks great, despite being a pain to finish. Well done.

Baxter Smith
07-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice looking wood! My cousin in Maine was going to cut up some dead american elm for me this past winter. They had so much snow they couldn't get into the woods.