PDA

View Full Version : jointer/planer with spiral cutterheads - can someone measure the noise?

Tom Hassad
07-10-2011, 9:16 PM
I am thinking of getting one of these principally because what I have is junk and also to reduce the noise. Everyone says they are quieter but I can't find any figures. I know many don't have decibel meters or whatever they use to measure - I was hoping someone could post a video or audio file to demonstrate the noise - I don't know how else to get the data since I live in the Calif. central valley and don't know of any who own such equipment. Thanks - Tom.

Will Blick
07-10-2011, 9:32 PM
with my straight blade lunch box planer, it was so loud, I could not hear my cyclone running......

I replaced it with a 20" Powermatic with Byrd cutters, its so quiet, I can't hear the planer cutting cause the same cyclone is now too loud. Oh, and the planer is was set in the same location. With lunch box planer hearing protection was mandatory. With the Byrd cutters, I don't wear hearing protection....

sorry, no decibel readings, but hopefully this is compelling enough info....

Myk Rian
07-10-2011, 9:47 PM
with my straight blade lunch box planer, it was so loud, I could not hear my cyclone running......

With lunch box planer hearing protection was mandatory. With the Byrd cutters, I don't wear hearing protection....

sorry, no decibel readings, but hopefully this is compelling enough info....
Same here. The loudest noise producer on my DW735 is the fan in it.
Before the Byrd head, it would wake the dead a mile away. No joke.

Ronald Blue
07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
A friend was just telling me earlier his Grizzly planer with spiral cutter head is quiet enough you can carry on a conversation while it is in operation. He said the quietness is a major benefit.

glenn bradley
07-10-2011, 10:39 PM
A friend was just telling me earlier his Grizzly planer with spiral cutter head is quiet enough you can carry on a conversation whie it is in operation. He said the quietness is a major benefit.

Sorry Tom. No numbers or side by side comparisons here either but . . .

You can definitely talk over my 8" jointer with a spiral. Not so much with the 15" planer with spiral but, it is definitely much. much quieter than my DW734.

david paul miller
07-11-2011, 12:03 AM
I was at 101 db with knives and 85 db with spiral, It takes a 3db difference for the average human to hear an audible change. but I can tell you 16 db is a major difference.

Jim Matthews
07-11-2011, 4:01 PM
Using a York Craft 20" planer, they installed a Byrd Shelix head.
I took about three hours.

98dB before, 90dB after (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/the-changing-of-the-cutterhead).
That's the difference between your kids screaming and an orchestra, flat out.

I think the real advantage is in time saved for sharpening - you just turn the inserts.

Will Blick
07-11-2011, 5:47 PM
Agreed that jointer and planer two different animals...
jointer with straight blades is quiet, not sure why planers with straight blades are so loud...prob. just the lunch box variety are ultra loud with their exposed screaming motors... just guessing