PDA

View Full Version : This Weekends Projects

Nate Davey
07-10-2011, 8:51 PM
Another day of skew practice, this bottle stopper was made round with the skew then I used my TT 3/8 bowl gouge for the shaping. This little piece of Red Bud was spectacular, unfortunately the pic doesn't show it. I need to get the cork yet. This was finished with a bunch of coats of CA then wet sanded, first time doing that, then sanded to 12k with MM and three wheel buffed
This is the bowl I asked for advice on earlier. I'm not real happy with the accent band, have a couple ideas to fix it for the next version. The curve of the inside bowl doesn't match the curve of the outside so have to fix that too. The holly was finished with Deft Satin Wiping Lacquer as it doesn't darken the wood. The cherry was finished with multiple coats of Formby's Tung Oil then three wheel buffed.
Here's a shot of the bottom. It's the second time I've been able to do it, so I know it's not an accident now. Used my homemade vacuum chuck for it.
Thanks for looking. Comments and criticism appreciated.

charlie knighton
07-10-2011, 10:09 PM
very nice Nate, interesting combination

Billy Tallant
07-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Nice job, Nate. I really like that Red Bud stopper.

Jim Burr
07-11-2011, 1:15 AM
Great looking stopper Nate!!! Bowl is so sharp...I'm droolin'!

Kevin L Little
07-11-2011, 9:38 AM
Nice work Nate. I'm impressed with the skew work on the bottle stopper. I'm still trying to get that magical touch with the skew.

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Nice work on everything Nate! Looks like you have been getting some serious shop time! Vacuum chucks are pretty cool - expecially when finishing the bottom of a bowl!

John Keeton
07-12-2011, 7:05 AM
Nate, you and "Skew" are getting to be best buds! Nice work on that redbud, and the bottom of the bowl is great - really worked out well.