PDA

View Full Version : UGH, Brass City. So close and yet so far :(.

john davey
07-10-2011, 7:56 PM
Well I had to bring my Mom up to CT Saturday and figured what a great time to stop in and see Brass City. I needed some layout odds and ends (dividers and such) that I figured I could get there and not deal with allot of shipping. I dropped my Mom off and called the number at the web site. They said they were open till 5:30 so I trekked up to Waterbury and found the place. Sadly whoever does the tools was on vacation and the brick and mortar store is really a record store and no tools to be seen :(. Total bummer for me but I guess I should have asked for more clarity. The web site does use the term brick and mortar store so I figured calling the phone number they provided and finding them open covered me.... Oh well. Not a total loss as I am also a amateur photographer and was able to take a shot of the clock tower in the city. I have to pick my Mom back up at the end of the month and I will try to touch base with them by then and see what is up. Hopefully this was just some bad timing....John

Peter Pedisich
07-10-2011, 8:25 PM
Sorry you missed it, I tried a few months back but family obligations squashed it. It has been on his website for at least a week that he was on vacation this week: http://brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/new%20tools.html

Walter Plummer
07-10-2011, 9:33 PM
About 1979 BI (Before Internet) we had to order out of printed catalogs. Silvo Hardware was a big tool supplier in Philly. One day we were rained out at work so we decided to drive up from VA. We finally find the place and go in and it is the size of a walk in closet with just a counter. I ask where the showroom is and the guy says there isn't one. I flip the catalog over and point to the phrase "over 30,000 sq. ft. warehouse and showroom space" Casual as can be he replies "It say we got the space. It doesn't say we HAVE a showroom." They were really nice and brought out anything we wanted to look at and we did buy some tools for good prices, but never take anything for granted.

Joshua Clark
07-11-2011, 9:12 AM
Ironically, Walt is away on vacation in Maryland! Maybe you passed him on the way up I-95. :) He's pretty active over on WoodNet and mentioned he was heading away for a week or so. Hopefully you'll catch up with him next time- he's a great guy.

Josh (also in CT and not too far from Walt)

john davey
07-11-2011, 4:15 PM
Completely my fault for missing he was out of town. I was going to Waterbury anyway and will be back up at the end of the month so it is no biggie. For those that have been there where are the tools? it looked like a record store to me??? I'm guessing the lower floor?

Chris Gilly
07-11-2011, 7:43 PM
There are some tools under the glass behind the cash register area. The main tool area is all the way in the back in their own little room. If the door is closed you wouldn't know they are there.