PDA

View Full Version : LN Frog and Stanley 607

Don Dorn
07-10-2011, 5:24 PM
Am curoios to know if a LN Frog for a #7 will fit the Stanley Bedrock it was designed after. I've got a very flat 607 and rather than looking for the new lateral adjuster and figuring out how to get it on as well as a worn depth adjuster, I was hoping that a new LN frog may solve both issues. They are not unreasonably priced, but it seems too good to be true. Anyone know?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-10-2011, 5:44 PM
LN lists on their webpage that their high-angle frogs will not fit other makes of planes. Assuming that the only difference between the HA and normal frogs is the bedding angle, I would assume this holds true for their normal frogs as well. LN is pretty quick with customer service replies during the week, however, so a quick email to them may set the matter straight.

Other options to try would be to post an ad looking for one on the SMC classifieds, and try contacting some of the tool dealers, like Walt at Brass City Records, Josh at Hyperkitten and Patrick Leach; they may be able to hook you up with one.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to just remove the lateral adjuster all together, I find them finicky to begin with and prefer light hammer taps. There's a couple of ways to fix the depth adjuster; I believe the Rexmill or Norse Woodsmith sites had some info on it? The ideas I've seen have been to drive out the pin that holds the adjuster, and then solder/braze on a bit of brass flashing to thicken/heighten it. You might also try an aftermarket chipbreaker, a couple of them (like Lee Valley's) mention that you may need to file the slot a hair to get it to fit. If your depth adjuster is only worn in thickness, not height, it may be all that you need to make it work.

Don Dorn
07-10-2011, 6:03 PM
Thanks for a great reply - didn't think about just getting rid of the lateral adjuster of which I'm not opposed to. Jim Kopeke gave me some good options as well and I'll also look into those sites you spoke of. I was simply hoping that for $85, I could get it all done at once with a new frog. I will call on Monday morning, but my thought is that the response will be what you said. If this thing didn't slice off tissue shavings, I'd simply move on, but it's tough to give that up if it can be reasonably fixed.

Jim Koepke
07-11-2011, 12:13 PM
As I recall, there is a slight difference between the LN and Stanley Bedrock design. I called one time to inquire about this.

I do not recall the exact difference, but I think the Bedrock has a slightly narrower base on the frog than the LN.

For information on removing the lateral adjuster see:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer&p=1156007

jtk

Don Dorn
07-11-2011, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the link Jim. You're right - I called this morning just to verify and they did indeed say that the frogs will not fit the old Stanley Bedrocks.

Jonas Baker
07-11-2011, 2:09 PM
I wonder if it is possible to make them fit with a bit of filing or something. I believe the difference is that there are little stips on the side of the original stanley bedrock beds that help to keep the frog set to the right angle. Sorry if I"m not explaining this properly. I'm not certain, but I believe that Lie Nielsen just has a completely flat bed for the frog to lie on. Of course there could be other differences, such as the location of the screw holes in the frogs, etc.

Jim Koepke
07-11-2011, 2:41 PM
I wonder if it is possible to make them fit with a bit of filing or something. I believe the difference is that there are little stips on the side of the original stanley bedrock beds that help to keep the frog set to the right angle.

My recollector tells me this is the problem. A little machining or what ever might take care of the situation if the LN frog is not wider then the Bedrock opening.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-11-2011, 2:58 PM
Well, a quick google search reveals this page (http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Smoothing__Jack___Jointer_Planes.html), which has a picture of the underside of a LN high-angle frog. Might answer some questions. Fine Woodworking (https://www.finewoodworking.com/item/14189/who-begot-who-comparing-planes-from-lie-nielsen-wood-river-and-stanley) has some pictures of the mating area on the sole in their article about LN, Stanley and WoodRiver planes. Maybe it's an issue of screw placement?