PDA

View Full Version : Great wheel Lathe- 18thc repro

greg Forster
07-10-2011, 1:14 PM
Here's something you don't see on Ebay every day:

400227106732 ( not sure of the protocol for dealing with Ebay listings)

I was working on a historical preservation project in Chester, SC at the time "The Patriot" was being filmed in the area. I bought my morning coffee at a convience store usually filled with bit players in costume on the way "to work". A friend of mine was a carpenter, building movie sets... mostly dummy building facades, so I got to go to the sets a few times.

Bill Houghton
07-10-2011, 6:43 PM
I won't be bidding - it doesn't come with an apprentice to turn the wheel.

Harlan Barnhart
07-10-2011, 6:58 PM
I think that is a reasonable price. A bargain actually

John Toigo
07-10-2011, 7:37 PM
Someone from one of the turning clubs brings one of those to the Cabin Fever Expo in York every year. It's fun to watch it in operation & they usually let the kids turn the crank. The kids of course think it's great fun.

george wilson
07-10-2011, 8:19 PM
That wheel looks just like the wheel our wheelwright made for the great wheel lathe in the cabinet shop in Williamsburg. His,however,had a thick steel tire in the bottom of its groove to give it inertia,I suppose. I'm not sure if they still have that lathe,or a more primitive version now.

Whoever made that wheel knew what he was doing. It is a nice piece of work. For "The Making of a Patriot",being that far back,I'd have to guess it was made in the Millwork Shop. They also made at least one of our coaches there many years ago. Definitely a far above average millwork shop. It's still there,just a few feet away from the Toolmaker's Shop.

That wheel would cost $$$$$$$ if you got it made today!!

Bruce Page
07-10-2011, 9:08 PM
George, does the crank handle have some sort of clutch or does it spin directly with the wheel?

george wilson
07-10-2011, 9:15 PM
It spins with the lathe.