PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it's about what you don't do.....

Richard Jones
07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
This is from a piece of chestnut that a co-worker salvaged when he was digging a new pond, probably about 12-14' down, so I guess it's fairly old.......:D

I do quite a few of this type of piece and they have always sold well, especially when I document the provenance. About 12" tall.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

http://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/misc/websize/IMG_1950.JPGhttp://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/misc/websize/IMG_1951.JPG

Ted Calver
07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Lots of character there, Richard. Many years ago my wife bought a similar piece made from an old chestnut fence post. She really likes this one too. It will sell quick.

Curt Fuller
07-10-2011, 12:17 PM
"Sometimes it's about what you don't do....."

Richard, I totally agree with you. As one who loves the natural and rugged beauty in wood, I love this kind of turning. Very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I agree Richard. I really like this turning. I really like work with a rustic look.

John Keeton
07-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Great vision, Richard!! You did just enough - time and weather took care of the rest!

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2011, 1:19 PM
Very nice work! Love the folk art feel to the piece! I can see why these wold be big sellers!

Mike Willeson
07-10-2011, 2:16 PM
Rich,

This a very interesting piece! Can you add some more info about your process...Did you just drill a hole straight in or is it hollowed to some degree? How did you clean the unturned portion? What did you use for finish? Has been applied to the unturned portion?

Robert McGowen
07-10-2011, 3:40 PM
A very unique piece. I can see where that would sell well.

Richard Jones
07-10-2011, 4:08 PM
Rich,

This a very interesting piece! Can you add some more info about your process...Did you just drill a hole straight in or is it hollowed to some degree? How did you clean the unturned portion? What did you use for finish? Has been applied to the unturned portion?

Mike,

This is just a drilled hole, as far as a spade bit will go, no hollowing. Cleaned the piece prior to turning by scrubbing it in the laundry sink with warm water, brush, dental pick, etc. In these pictures, no finish has been applied. I have put a coat of DO, or BLO, or WO on previous pieces, and have done some with just the neck, some with the entire piece. Just depends on the wood and the look that I think fits the piece.

Rich

Thanks for the comments. Funny someone should mention a turned chestnut fence post. That's one of the things that started me down this spinny road............

charlie knighton
07-10-2011, 4:57 PM
super piece, keep it simple

Chris Burgess
07-11-2011, 8:16 AM
Those look great. Nice work. Great eye on this one.

Tim Rinehart
07-11-2011, 9:01 AM
Neat! I like that. Nice work Richard.

Baxter Smith
07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Good work, and a good idea! Will have to keep my eye out for some interesting driftwood!

Dennis Simmons
07-11-2011, 7:09 PM
What did you do to clean and finish the unturned part? I like this, I have some cherry that is old, and I would like to try this.
Great turning.

Richard Jones
07-12-2011, 8:55 AM
Dennis,

This piece is unfinished. To clean, I scrubbed it with an old handled dish scrubber, toothbrush, used a dental pick in some areas, etc. Again, this was a buried piece of wood, so it had lots of dirt on it. The soil was very plastic, what we call shrink-swell here, so difficult to remove with just rinsing. I've done some with finish, some without, just depends.

About as reclaimed as you can get, which is what I love.

Rich