PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panel out of plywood?

Bruce Page
04-18-2003, 2:14 PM
I’m making two raised panels from birds-eye maple. The panel sides are angled at 15° and the top of the panel has a 26.5” radius. Rather than taking the chance of screwing up the expensive birds-eye, I plan on making a test fit panel out of 7 ply Baltic birch. Here’s the question – will the raised panel bit give me a clean cut on the ply or will I end up with a splintered mess?

Thanks

The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep. -- Woody Allen

Phil Phelps
04-18-2003, 2:34 PM
Seven ply may take a profile ok. I've used plywood on some wierd projects at the shop. Had to "butter" the edge with spackle to fill it. Ain't but one way to find out.

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-18-2003, 3:00 PM
I agree.......7 ply is pretty tight Plywood, and if the cutter is sharp, and you take little bites at a time, it should do OK. I have never tried it, but like Phil says, only one way to find out. Whatever the outcome, you will have learned something! ;)
Let 'er RIP! :D
Let us know how it turns out...........kind of peaks my interest.

Mike Tubbs
04-18-2003, 4:58 PM
Bruce,

If you are looking for an inexpensive "test wood" MDF will machine very clean. Plywood is likely to splinter very bad. Besides MDF is a lot cheaper than Baltic birch

Ron Meadows
04-18-2003, 5:26 PM
I'd also recommend MDF. Cheap and it machines very well. Much cheaper than baltic birch too.

Ron

Bruce Page
04-18-2003, 9:04 PM
Thanks Guys

I would have preferred using MDF but both the local big boxes only sell it in full sheets and I didn’t want to deal with that. I’m building Woodsmith’s “Heirloom Cradle” and the end panels are raised on both sides, so between that, the 15° stiles and the arched top rail, I felt that a template would be a good idea. The ply panel turned out good with a little fine-tuning, so now I’ll just clone it with the birds-eye.;)

Bruce

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties. -- Doug Larson

Hal Flynt
04-21-2003, 3:42 PM
I find MDF in 1 foot widths in the shelving section of HD. I buy this for all those projects that don't need the width.