PDA

View Full Version : My tour at Thos. Moser

Bobby O'Neal
07-10-2011, 8:21 AM
I just got home from a trip to Maine for the last week. Loaded week, lots of fun, great food, amazing scenery. Oh yeah, and I finally got that private tour of the Moser shop that I have been waiting for from a certain family member. I had trouble uploading all of the pics for some reason but here's a start. There were some really cool things to see that struck me right off the bat.

They aren't afraid at all to buy Grizzly. There are a few machines that they particularly like and have multiples of. Bandsaws, jointers and downdraft tables.

Lots and lots of old iron. Almost all of the old pieces are Powermatic, minus some great looking old Unisaws. They find something that works well and they use it.

All the jigs a boy could dream of. There is one guy on staff who's sole job is to take pieces from the prototype shop and create jigs for them. Super specialized and super well made.

Plenty of Euro machines well. I don't recall all the brands. One sliding TS and the few big jointers they have are European. There is one 16" Grizzly but the 20" Jointers are from over there.

And also, it really feels like a real shop. There is dust on the ground. There are family pictures at work stations. Personal tools and benches all have their own feel. Very cool family place. I was afraid on some level that it would feel too commercial or robotic. Not at all. Especially the prototype/design shop. It was just like its own home shop. Nice old PM66, 8" DJ20, 18" Jet bandsaw, 20" Planer, SCMS and a lathe all laid out really nicely with room to create.

Very fun tour.

Charles Brown
07-10-2011, 9:04 AM
Bobby, thanks for the post of the pictures. Please continue to add pictures, if you have any. I'm a large fan of Moser and own a couple of pieces. Their level of precision is what I strive for in my work. It's nice to see that things aren't poured out of the CNC and assembled and finished for the "hand-made" touch.

Matt Meiser
07-10-2011, 9:49 AM
Charles, if you ever have a chance to be in Maine, call ahead and arrange a tour. They are personal tours, not something regularly scheduled.

Charles Brown
07-10-2011, 9:57 AM
Charles, if you ever have a chance to be in Maine, call ahead and arrange a tour. They are personal tours, not something regularly scheduled.

I'll be there in June 2012. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Neil Brooks
07-10-2011, 10:00 AM
How cool.

Lately ... the only time we see such pictures ... is on the equipment auction sites :(

Bobby O'Neal
07-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I'll do some more tinkering and try to get some pictures up.

Also, don't be fooled. They have an awesome CNC setup that is a workhorse for certain pieces and parts but there is much to be done by manpower. The cases team makes almost all of their parts. Its a great looking operation.

Ray Newman
07-10-2011, 2:18 PM
Interesting pictures and commentary. Re picture #4 --the workbench: do you notice what the top is made from?

At first look, it looks like a man-made product similar to Corian or Formica? Such a top would save clean up time.

Gene Howe
07-10-2011, 3:06 PM
Thanks for the tour, Bobby. I enjoyed the pictures.
Did you get any of finished pieces that used the leather?

Peter Koutsovitis
07-10-2011, 5:42 PM
Thanks for the pics, Bobby. I've admired Thomas Moser's work for a long time.

Did you happen to ask him how the heck the Edo Trestle Table is constructed, did you :) ? I've been trying to figure out the joinery for a while, and I'd love to build it.

frank shic
07-10-2011, 6:25 PM
that is so unbelievably cool that you posted these pics! i would've thought that they would rely on more cnc technology like all the cabinetmakers do these days... very encouraging that an outfit exists that can still turn on a profit using tools that we own.

Rod Sheridan
07-10-2011, 9:19 PM
that is so unbelievably cool that you posted these pics! i would've thought that they would rely on more cnc technology like all the cabinetmakers do these days... very encouraging that an outfit exists that can still turn on a profit using tools that we own.

LOL Frank, yeah stuff we all own, 20" Euro jointers, CNC machines, Timesaver wide belt sander.:D

Just kidding Frank, some of the stuff is home shop type machines.........Rod

Jim Becker
07-10-2011, 9:40 PM
{major jealousy!!}

That's really wonderful you got to do the tour...I really hope I will have that opportunity one day as Thos Moser is one of my woodworking "heros"!

BTW, just continue to reply within this thread and you can add more photos in each additional post. (I believe the current limit is 8 per post)

frank shic
07-10-2011, 11:49 PM
lol oops missed the part about the cnc and yeh, that widebelt sander embarrasses my little drum sander!

John Nesmith
07-11-2011, 9:26 AM
Interesting pictures and commentary. Re picture #4 --the workbench: do you notice what the top is made from?

At first look, it looks like a man-made product similar to Corian or Formica? Such a top would save clean up time.

I wondered the same thing.

Bobby O'Neal
07-12-2011, 5:54 PM
Here are a few more pics. Not sure why some of them are turning but I'll figure that out later.