PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged lumber birdhouse

David Brimm
07-10-2011, 1:46 AM
When I was finishing out my shop I found an old 2x12 stashed up in the rafters and even though it was just a stuby 7' piece I couldn't bring myself to toss it out. Well I was looking for something fun to do this evening so decided to transform it into a functional birdhouse for the yard tree.

I cut it up into 9x13" pieces and glued them together into a 9x9x13 blank and mounted the monster up on my little Jet 10x14 and got to turning. A bit later I've got 1 birdhouse and what seems like 100lbs of itchy messy dry sawdust covering the shop. I think it came out nice and hope some birds can make it into a nice home. The wife loves it which is nice too! :D

John Keeton
07-10-2011, 7:36 AM
Right nice work there, David! Good use of salvage timber. Might be neat to sandwich some contrasting wood in with it.

charlie knighton
07-10-2011, 10:27 AM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Great looking birdhouse. Nice way to salvage lumber for sure.

Michael James
07-10-2011, 1:01 PM
Love the birdhouse, but I've read that the occupants do not use the perch - the predator nest robbers do. Again, Im not an ornithologist, but you can verify this, or perhaps someone here will. Nice job!

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2011, 1:15 PM
Nice work on the birdhouse! I really like the style and the larger size!

David Brimm
07-10-2011, 2:42 PM
Love the birdhouse, but I've read that the occupants do not use the perch - the predator nest robbers do. Again, Im not an ornithologist, but you can verify this, or perhaps someone here will. Nice job!

Uh oh I hadn't heard that but I could see how it might make sense. I don't think my wife will let me cut the perch off at this point so I'll just have to be on the lookout for nest robbers!

David Brimm
07-10-2011, 2:45 PM
Right nice work there, David! Good use of salvage timber. Might be neat to sandwich some contrasting wood in with it.

Thanks John, I had thought about sandwiching up some black walnut in with it but I didn't have any scraps big enough and couldn't bring myself to cut down any stock haha. My wife might end up doing though, after she saw mine she decided she wants to try and turn one but "fancier" and shaped like an acorn. I'm taking every opportunity to slip "if we had a bigger lathe we/you could make.... " comments into these conversations of course!

David Brimm
07-10-2011, 2:46 PM
Thanks everyone, it's nice to have a fun little project to work on and not take seriously for once. It's also fun finding ways to use the bandsaw, tablesaw and drill press I picked up a week or two ago.. it really opens up all sorts of new projects.

Robert McGowen
07-10-2011, 3:38 PM
Nice job, David. I would have thought that it was a miniature if you had not given the dimensions.

David Brimm
07-10-2011, 3:40 PM
Nice job, David. I would have thought that it was a miniature if you had not given the dimensions.

My first thought was to make a miniature but then I decided I wanted it to be functional for the size birds that live around our house.