PDA

View Full Version : I Fought the Skew and I Haven't Lost

Nate Davey
07-09-2011, 9:33 PM
Today, my MacBook Pro, the Al Lacer Dark Side of the Skew, my new 1" Skew and my stash of 1"x1" pine went out to the garage to reach an understanding. I wasn't coming out unless it was on a stretcher pulled by paramedics or with an understanding of this evil beast. I would watch a chapter of the video then practice and repeat.... While I'm not Skew Black Belt, I am much more comfortable with it now. The culminating event was making this pen with the skew and I have to say, it worked our pretty nice. Started sanding at 300.
As an aside, the skew was sharpened on my CBN wheel. I've started sharpening everything in the house, my wife can't even touch our cocker spaniel... I sharpened him too.

P.S. Definitely they most unspectacular piece of buckeye I've ever seen.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2011, 9:38 PM
Nice pen Nate! Beautiful wood. The more time you spend using that skew, the more you will like it. Your new mantra "Ride the bevel".

Billy Tallant
07-09-2011, 9:48 PM
Nice looking pen... Also great job on using the skew on it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2011, 9:55 PM
Great looking pen Nate. I agree with Ken. Ride the bevel and practice. I love the skew.

Jim Burr
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Well done Nate!! You have tamed a beast that beats most who attempt it! It will get easier...sharp is best....gratz on the CBN, it will make your life much easier! Opps...that's a really cool pen too!! Jr Gent's (and the other varities) sell very well!

Greg Just
07-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Great looking pen. Nice wood and finish. I learned to use the skew from none other than Alan Lacer. I took a class of his 2 years ago and after his demo, I spent 45 mnutes at the grinder reshaping my 1 1/4 inch skew to be curved like Alan grinds his. It is amazing the smooth finish you can get with a sharp skew.

David E Keller
07-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice work on taming the skew! The 'most unspectacular' buckeye looks pretty good to me!

Jim Burr
07-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Great looking pen. Nice wood and finish. I learned to use the skew from none other than Alan Lacer. I took a class of his 2 years ago and after his demo, I spent 45 mnutes at the grinder reshaping my 1 1/4 inch skew to be curved like Alan grinds his. It is amazing the smooth finish you can get with a sharp skew.

You got that right Greg!! almost glass like glass. I sharped my stuff on my griz and the skew cut with a glass finish, it was amazing!

Rob Sitze
07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
WTG Nate. Told you the skew was the best thing for pens.